lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Grinding/ticking/whining noise

Ok, now I got a wierd problem. Changed my rear axel to a used 91 and its making a wierd grinding noise from the back end. Checked hubs, they are good. Fluid is good. Only makes the sound when not under load, like when jacked up off the ground or when coasting downhill. Pulling uphill or accelerating it doesn do it. Any ideas?
tyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Grinding/ticking/whining noise

Anyone?
Old 06-02-2018, 07:45 AM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Bad bearings, and possibly gears. Probably why it was retired in the first place. Tear the rear end apart, inspect everything, and be prepared to buy parts. While you are in there, plan to replace every bearing, to save you from going back in again soon to replace what you may overlook. Don't skimp on the oil you use when you put it back together. Use the best, so it lasts!
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:30 AM   #4
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That's what I was afraid of. Was planning on buying bearings, but I guess I'll go ahead and tear into it and see what's going on inside. Disappointing considering it took me all day to do the swap.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #5
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

How can I get part numbers on all the bearings and seals that need to be replaced.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:38 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhuck View Post
How can I get part numbers on all the bearings and seals that need to be replaced.
One way would be once you get the bearings out, they will have bearing number on them, Google it and you find places that sell those OR look them up on one of the vendor websites for a rear end bases on its type.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:49 PM   #7
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Took it all apart today, got it all cleaned out, and found that all of the bearings except for the main diff bearings needed replacing. Not sure what was causing the noise to be only present during high speed free-spin situations and not all the time, but looking at the gears and feeling the bearings roll, Im sure that has to be what it was. The fluid I emptied out of it looked like motor oil after 7K miles, and the axle tubes were all full of rust and what felt like flaky metal particles. Cleaned everything til it looks brand new and gave everything a good coat of WD-40 to keep it from rusting until I get it all back together.

I also disassembled the motor and checked it out and cleaned it. The brushes and everything looked great once cleaned.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:03 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:22 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I like a mix of standard gear oil and Lucas oil stabilizer in a 50/50 mix max in most all axles. I don't run the 30w oil as suggested by some here. Having dealt with so many super noisy club car axles, I have my own preference. (Yes, I know this isn't the club car section). Don't run a ratio of more than 50 percent Lucas, it will "whip up like honey", I tried that once in super noisy China star car axle.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #10
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I like a mix of standard gear oil and Lucas oil stabilizer in a 50/50 mix max in most all axles. I don't run the 30w oil as suggested by some here. Having dealt with so many super noisy club car axles, I have my own preference. (Yes, I know this isn't the club car section). Don't run a ratio of more than 50 percent Lucas, it will "whip up like honey", I tried that once in super noisy China star car axle.
Will that help to coat the parts that aren't directly connected to the gear set? Don't want the inside of the axel tubes rusting again, or any internal part for that matter.

Also, I had a bearing question as well. Is there a reason some of the bearings I removed were open, some were single Sheild, and some were sealed? And, is there a reason that sealed or double shielded bearings can't be used to protect against particle contamination?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO