lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
DJSS
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 Club Car DS Gas won't crank

Im trying to help my neighbor who just bought this cart yesterday. I put the deal together as the cart belonged to a friend of mine so I feel responsible for getting it going.

1996 DS Gas, yesterday it ran fine. The ignition switch was loose in the dash and the key would turn the entire switch before it turned the ignition on.

Today it wont do anything

Battery has 12.83 volts, headlights, brake lights work, but they would without the ignition switch on.

I pulled the switch out thinking they had twisted a wire while the switch was turning but no such luck.

Yesterday the back up buzzer would sound with the key off, today it will not.

I am not sure where to start. Any advice would be appreciated.
DJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
DJSS
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 96 Club Car DS Gas won't crank

I found it. Fuse blown in the black box next to the battery.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #3
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

My story is similar, a neighbor recently bought this AG97 and it won't crank. I am used to working on my Yamaha g16, not familiar with the Club Car.

Lights work, buzzer works for reverse, you can hear a relay/solenoid click when depressing the gas but the starter/generator does not engage.

fuse is fine. I would appreciate any ideas/help, thanks

She said it was running fine and just quit on her, so that would make me thing something besides the starter/generator
HemiED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #4
DJSS
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiED View Post
My story is similar, a neighbor recently bought this AG97 and it won't crank. I am used to working on my Yamaha g16, not familiar with the Club Car.

Lights work, buzzer works for reverse, you can hear a relay/solenoid click when depressing the gas but the starter/generator does not engage.

fuse is fine. I would appreciate any ideas/help, thanks

She said it was running fine and just quit on her, so that would make me thing something besides the starter/generator
good luck with it. I would check the ignition switch and make sure it is working properly.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #5
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSS View Post
good luck with it. I would check the ignition switch and make sure it is working properly.
Thank you.

After reviewing the schematics in the sticky information section, I am wondering about an oil level sensor being faulty? I am going back over there tomorrow and will check them both out.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

All the oil level sender does it turn on the dummy light to let you know its low on oil. Has nothing to do with starting.

Need to check voltage at the battery, both posts on the solenoid, and at large white wire on the starter generator when depressing the pedal. My bet would be the brushes in the starter generator are worn out. If you spin the motor by hand a couple turns, it may move the brushes enough for them to make contact and work again for a couple cranks.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #7
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
All the oil level sender does it turn on the dummy light to let you know its low on oil. Has nothing to do with starting.

Need to check voltage at the battery, both posts on the solenoid, and at large white wire on the starter generator when depressing the pedal. My bet would be the brushes in the starter generator are worn out. If you spin the motor by hand a couple turns, it may move the brushes enough for them to make contact and work again for a couple cranks.
Thanks so much for clearing that up about the oil sensor.

I agree with you on the starter generator and had rolled it over to see if the brushes would make contact and take off, but no luck. I have had that work on my Yamahas.

Also, my experience with the starter/gens is that they will usually show symptoms of wear. She said this thing just quit running and stopped.

I will take your much appreciated advice and check it out tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quit running as in, she was driving the cart and it shut off?
Or quit running as in, she drove it, parked it and the next time she tried to start it, it wouldn't run?
Old 08-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #9
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Quit running as in, she was driving the cart and it shut off?
Or quit running as in, she drove it, parked it and the next time she tried to start it, it wouldn't run?
My understanding is that she was driving it and it shut off. My experience with Starter/Generator problems have been different. I am looking forward to finding out more tomorrow with the help from this thread.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Ok, that's a bit different.
Probably want to start by checking the fuse in the electrical box.
The solenoid is in there as well, so you can check that to see if it's clicking.
Also there's a micro-switch in there on the throttle cam, you may be hearing that click if it's a very faint click.

There's a yellow wheel on the back of the FnR switch. Pull it out and spin it 180° to put it in maintenance mode so you can do all of your testing with the cart in neutral.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car