lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
GunzAndGloreee
Not Yet Wild

Default 2011 RXV clicking noise

I've got two identical RXV's, but one started making this weird noise a couple weeks ago, and it seems to be getting worse. It happens at any speed, although more common at higher speeds. Its been set to Freedom mode for top speed, and is totally stock. Here is a link to a video I made containing the sound. To me, the click sounds similar to the sound the emergency brake makes when it reengages once the cart comes to a stop, but it wouldn't make sense since the cart is moving, and seems to be working completely fine besides the noise that has developed. Does anyone recognise the sound, or have any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks!
ughh... Well, I can't post the video link, but if you search for my YouTube channel, (Ryan Gunnells), it's my most recent video. Only a few seconds long, but should help.
GunzAndGloreee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2011 RXV clicking noise

Have you checked anything? Start by jacking up the rear end and see if there is any play in your wheels. Check lug nuts. Look underneath car and check for loose bolts and nuts.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:39 PM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunzAndGloreee View Post
I've got two identical RXV's, but one started making this weird noise a couple weeks ago, and it seems to be getting worse. It happens at any speed, although more common at higher speeds. Its been set to Freedom mode for top speed, and is totally stock. Here is a link to a video I made containing the sound. To me, the click sounds similar to the sound the emergency brake makes when it reengages once the cart comes to a stop, but it wouldn't make sense since the cart is moving, and seems to be working completely fine besides the noise that has developed. Does anyone recognise the sound, or have any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks!
ughh... Well, I can't post the video link, but if you search for my YouTube channel, (Ryan Gunnells), it's my most recent video. Only a few seconds long, but should help.
Check for loose hubs. The rear hubs go onto the splined axle shafts and are held in place with large nuts. If they loosen up, they can make noise, and eventually strip out!
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
GunzAndGloreee
Not Yet Wild

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. After buying jacks and a impact wrench, I took y’alls a advice. I also called EZGO, which was a nice help as well. It seems that I have a bearing going out, and the intermittent clicking is the bearing jumping around. When the cart is on jacks, it’s all quiet, and the noise only happens when under load. All this leads to a new question. I took the opportunity to inspect the differential and replace the differential fluid. Problem l have now is finding Mobile 424 in quantities less than 5 gallons. Any advice on this one?
Old 08-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I use Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic 75W140 Gear Oil 25 ounces + 2 ounces of K & W Chemical Trans-X® Posi Trac® Limited Slip Gear Oil Additive.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The 424 tractor fluid was the original (and worst) oil specified in Rxv axles. Just use gear oil with 2 oz friction modifier, friction modifier is important (available at auto parts store).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
GunzAndGloreee
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone! Repair is completed. Just to recap, I pulled both rear axle shafts and replaced the passenger side bearing. I removed the differential gear set while cleaning and replacing the diff fluid, and checked the bearings there too. With only one bearing bad, I found a new one at advanced auto, and pressed it on myself at the Navy Auto Hobby shop here on Boca Chica. I reused all the seals and C clips, and filled the diff with 25oz of 75-140 synthetic gear oil, and 2oz of friction modifier with a hose through the passenger side. All bolts were tightened to specs found elsewhere on this site. I think that about covers the whole process. Funny how I thought it was an electrical problem at first, and turned out to be a bearing. Thanks again for all the help. If you think I missed something, or there was something else I may have overlooked of importance, let me know.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO