lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2018, 10:20 PM   #1
CCRyan08
Not Yet Wild

Default Alltrax install issue - OBC thinks charger is plugged in

I installed a new alltrax DCX48500 on my ‘08 CC Precedent along with a HD solenoid and 2awg cables. I believe I installed everything correctly but the cart shutters when in drive. In the alltrax toolkit monitor it says that the charger is plugged in (its not) and the HPD Satisifed monitor flickers between true/false... no other flags or warnings are present. Any ideas on what the issue is? The OBC worked fine with the OEM equipment but is it possible it malfunctioned after the modifications... or the charger receptacle is damaged? Did I miss wire something from the OBC? Greatly appreciate any help.
CCRyan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2018, 08:20 AM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Alltrax install issue - OBC thinks charger is plugged in

Did you check the "Over Voltage" setting? Is this just a "tad" above your battery pack's max charge? (I had this occur on my AXE controller and this was the issue)

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is the Controller really a DCX (has not been manufactured in years) or the newer Alltrax XCT?

If it is an XCT on a 2008 Precedent, check You have the correct interlock setting:
Open the Alltrax Toolkit software and click on Tools then Options.

Make sure you have a checkmark on the "Show Charge Interlock".

Go to the "Controller Settings" Tab and scroll all the way to the bottom of that page.

Change the option: "Disable the Motor Controller when User3 is:" to "Floating/NC"

Click the "Set" button (on the left of the Program) to save the settings
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
CCRyan08
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. It is an XCT thanks for catching that Sergio - wasn’t thinking clearly :)
I have it set to the Floating/NC setting already. I’ll give the over voltage setting a try. If that doesn’t work... do you guys think the OBC got damaged during install or could it be wired wrong. I just can’t figure out how it would be sending a signal that it’s plugged in when it isn’t. If that’s the case maybe I’ll go for an onboard charger and bypass the OBC
Old 11-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It could be the OBC interlock signal to the controller is malfunctioning, but if the OBC is charging properly, You can by-pass the interlock and still use the OBC for charging.

One possible way to mess up the wiring is the Tow/Run connection on the Solenoid big post, make sure that wire is on the battery side of the solenoid.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

My neighbor has an issue with his Alltrax where he had to keep changing the charger interlock setting for his cart to run (floating NC to High/Low, and back again a day or 2 later). His OBC totally died a couple weeks after the problem started.
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the cart charges OK and the wiring is correct:
Cut the Blue wire on the OBC side of the 6-pin connector (half-way) and put tape to insulate both sides.

Change the Interlock setting on the Alltrax to "High/Low"

The only side effect is that the Controller will not go into lockout when the charger is plugged to the cart.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #8
CCRyan08
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Sergio. Wanted to check with you on one other update before I do that. I rechecked my wiring and had my alltrax plugged in to my laptop while pressing the throttle. The controller blinks red twice indicating low battery and the same error flag pops up on the alltrax monitor. My in dash meter reads 51 volts as does the alltrax toolkit monitor. Why would it be saying I have low voltage when I am at full charge? I have the undervoltage set to 40 on the toolkit. Any ideas. Thanks again for all of your help
Old 11-17-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
CCRyan08
Not Yet Wild

Also- I fixed the issue where it thought it was plugged in. I hooked it up to the charger and must have reset itself. So now i am just left with the below issue. The solenoid doesn’t open but I’m assuming it’s because it’s not on long enough to engage?

Thanks Sergio. Wanted to check with you on one other update before I do that. I rechecked my wiring and had my alltrax plugged in to my laptop while pressing the throttle. The controller blinks red twice indicating low battery and the same error flag pops up on the alltrax monitor. My in dash meter reads 51 volts as does the alltrax toolkit monitor. Why would it be saying I have low voltage when I am at full charge? I have the undervoltage set to 40 on the toolkit. Any ideas. Thanks again for all of your help
Old 11-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Make sure the KSI voltage settings is also less than the "Low Voltage" setting (30v is fine for that).

Make sure the Regen Diode across the Solenoid big posts has the "stripe" towards the battery positive post.

Does the Alltrax monitor show the voltage dropping? The Solenoid may not be closing, make sure the "fly-back" diode on the solenoid little posts has the "stripe" towards the light blue wire.

The Tow/Run wire should also be on the Solenoid big post connected to the pack positive.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car