lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Club Car acceleration seems slow...

Hello all I am looking to see if I may have a slight problem or maybe nothing to worry about. I have a 36v resistor cart with the 2.97HP, 2800RPM, special service motor and I am wondering if there are any particular things to look at for slowing acceleration. My top end seems to be where it should be around 12-13 mph on flat ground, at 2800RPM, 12:1 gearing, and 18" tires I should be at 12.5mph. I assume this means my electrical system is supplying at least the minimum amperage I need to get to this speed and if voltage was to low I couldn't spin that fast. I always thought the cart felt sluggish taking off and it does seem to lose quite a bit of steam going up even an small hill. I am more convinced that I have something robbing me of torque now that my neighbor got almost an identical cart with the 2.5hp 3300rpm motor and we were comparing them. His goes faster on level ground which is to be expected, about 14.5mph, but it also outruns me right off the line and slight grade changes in the road don't seen to affect it as much. With the higher HP and lower RPM my cart should be a torque monster, haha, in comparison but that doesnt seem to be the case. I am leaning towards maybe motor brushes, wiper brushes, FR switch or something similar that may be robbing me of inrush amperage when taking off or going up hills. Any ideas or am I just crazy?

Thanks!
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car acceleration seems slow...

What is the pack voltage when you start off? And what is it when it gets sluggish? These play a big roll in how the cart operates.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I’ll take some readings of the drop tomorrow but voltage is good during start 38.3ish and around 36.1-36.2 at full speed. Batteries are not 6 months old yet. Also I have new cables between the batteries and the one from the pack to the motor, I haven’t got around to finishing the entire loop yet (at least for full throttle).
Old 02-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #4
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Got to run around a bit today. At full speed it will get up to around 36.3v when I take off from a dead stop and put the pedal to the floor the voltage meter will drop to about 33.2-33.4 but only for a second. With just myself in the cart on level pavement it takes about 10-12 seconds to get to full speed. Maybe that's normal but my neighbors almost identical cart feels like a hot rod in comparison!

I need to make a couple more battery cables to finish the loop and make sure that's not affecting me. Maybe after that I look at getting motor rebuilt.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:40 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

It sounds like it is working correctly from the readings. If there were a MS or resistor not working there would be a tell-tale sign... Hard to compare against your neighbors since they are 2 different systems....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.5, 2.97, 36v, amperage, torque
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car