lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #1
xrt1500
Not Yet Wild

Default xrt1500 clutch problems.

i recently bought a 2005 xrt1500 from a farm for dirt cheap because it had tons of problem. the cart has a 18hp kohler vtwin motor thats not original as i found out it came with a honda 20hp and had a broken driven clutch along with broken front drive shaft and tons of rigged parts. i got the motor running and installed a new driven clutch after checking all wheel bearings fluids and brakes i took it for a spin only to find that it has no power and smokes the belt.i lifted the bed and found that every time i hit the gas it Immediately pulls the belt down into the driven clutch before the cart even moves. my thought was that the spring was to weak in the driven clutch so i bought a high toque spring and new belt this Made the cart driveable but under the smallest load it will still pull the belt down causing me to lose all low end torque and smokes the belt . the motor never bogs at all when this happens there has to be something wrong im now wondering if the drive clutch is not right for this cart but theres no numbers on it for me to look up. im getting tired of guessing and wasting money if anyone has an idea id love to hear it thanks in advance.
xrt1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2019, 11:20 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: xrt1500 clutch problems.

Could just be a crap belt. Is there a part number on the belt anywhere?

The secondary clutch needs to be clocked properly and pre-loaded to provide proper resistance to the belt opening the clutch. If the helix ramp is clocked wrong the belt will spin the clutch sheave and push the clutch open with almost no resistance. It can also slam the ramp against the slides and break them.
Pre-loading the spring in the clutch determines how much force it takes to make the clutch open. Too little pre-load and it will open too soon. Too much pre-load and it may not open at all. Usually it’s 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn depending on the vehicle.

Which direction does the primary clutch spin on that motor? That will determine which way the secondary ramp needs to be clocked.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
xrt1500
Not Yet Wild

ill have to see what direction it turns when i get home. the secondary clutch i installed is supposed to be an oem club car for this model is the helx your talking about on the opposite side of the spring i dont remember seeing it when i changes the spring is why i ask.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
xrt1500
Not Yet Wild

found something new after a good cleaning. the motor has been moved over roughly 1 inch by the previous owner making the belt tighter it looks like the oil filter was to close to the transmission so instead of doing a relocate kit they drilled holes and moved it. im going to mover it back to the right spot tonight. do you think this could be the problem???
Old 03-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the engine was moved sideways, it would cause the belt to not be properly aligned, I think you have found your problem
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
xrt1500
Not Yet Wild

so i moved the motor back to its original position and nothing changed the belt is still pulling down into the secondary clutch and will smoke if i hold the gas. iv taken the clutch back apart to try and clock it but there is no possible way to clock this clutch the part number on it is 240132 if any one has any other ideas id really appreciate it
Old 03-13-2019, 11:30 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Can you post some pictures of the secondary clutch? Sounds like it may be a different design than what I’m thinking of.

If the clutch is binding the belt may not be able to open it.
If you assemble the clutch sheaves together without the spring can you rock the movable sheave on the center post of the clutch? Is there any grooving or wear marks on the center post? Excessive wear can cause the clutch to bind and not open properly when under pressure from the belt.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car