lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
GoBlue452
Not Yet Wild

Default My gas club car ds keeping leaking crank seals

Hi all

I have a 2003 gas club car ds. It does have a 3 inch jakes lift. Smokes a little on start up but then runs great. The problem is it keeps leaking crank seals on the clutch side. I have replaced them 4 times in the past 2 years along with the crank seal on the fan side 2 times too.

I have had new rings and piston installed
New carb
New valve seals
I dropped the amount of oil used since it is lifted.

Cart runs fine just keep leaking and has a cloud of smoke at start up. Anyone who fixed this unique problem please let me know :)
GoBlue452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2019, 10:29 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: My gas club car ds keeping leaking crank seals

Perhaps the crank side that rides on the seal is galled or pitted? That can take a seal out pretty quickly.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #3
GoBlue452
Not Yet Wild

Thanks CP241 I will ask my buddy who is my mechanic and see if he thinks that could be the issue. So you are saying it might be the crank shaft itself is the issue?

Please keep the ideas coming this cart has stumped everyone! I thought maybe it had something to do with the lift kit?

Something to do with the fuel pump?
Or carb?

It’s weird because it runs fine.

Thanks again to anyone with ideas!!
Old 05-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Exactly what do you mean by you dropped the amount of oil since it is lifted? You should still fill with the same amount if oil regardless of lift or not.

But if its leaking from the same crank seal that you've replaced 4x now then it is only one of a few things.

Either the crank is pitted where the seal rides
The seals are either junk or the wrong ones and dont fit properly
Or they are being installed incorrectly. Make sure you grease both the crankshaft and the seal on the inside and the outside. It's easy to install the seal and roll the inside spring out of the seal. It's also easy to tear the seal slightly during installation. Grease will help with that.

I can't think of anything else it would be unless the crank has excessive end to end play and its damaging the seal by shifting back and forth too much
Old 05-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
GoBlue452
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys

I do know the crank did have some rust on it and maybe my mechanic sanded some of the rust off and in fact messed up the fitting of that seal.

If it just leaks a little like a couple drops here and there is it going to create more damage? I could probably find another crank shaft and have that installed but I’m assuming the motor will have to be taken off to do that.... more costly. I just like everything running perfect so that tiny tiny leak is bugging me.

Thanks again for your help!!
Old 05-20-2019, 09:57 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Is it just damp or is it actually dripping?

Where are the seals being purchased? Club car dealer is the only place the buy these seals or making sure you get Kawasaki Original parts. You get them anywhere else and you’re probably getting poor quality.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

aftermarket crank seals? if so, that's your problem
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #8
GoBlue452
Not Yet Wild

Hey guys

I get the crank seals from buggies unlimited. I have a 3 inch jakes lift on my cart too. I just tried flipping the snubber bar over to bring the front of the engine back down to a more normal sitting position. I read that tilt could also cause the blow by. Yesterday I swapped out another crank seal and am waiting to see if that fixed the problem. Cross your fingers!! And as always thanks for everyone’s suggestions.

On a side note where do you recommend getting crank seals?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Call David at revolution golf cars (site sponsor) and get OEM seals. Buggies unlimited only carries Chinese aftermarket junk and could by your problem.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #10
BuggieMaverick
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue452 View Post
Thanks guys

I do know the crank did have some rust on it and maybe my mechanic sanded some of the rust off and in fact messed up the fitting of that seal.

If it just leaks a little like a couple drops here and there is it going to create more damage? I could probably find another crank shaft and have that installed but I’m assuming the motor will have to be taken off to do that.... more costly. I just like everything running perfect so that tiny tiny leak is bugging me.

Thanks again for your help!!
All it takes it a very fine scratch to wear out a seal. I have a mower that has a tiny scratch on the crankshaft and wears out seals if the seal is seated at normal depth. My solution was to seat the seal deeper to get pas the scratch.

Likewise, make sure the engine breather hose and filter isn’t blocked or plugged up. If it is, engine can build up excess internal pressure and push oil out past seals. My mower also needed a new breather filter to stop the leaks.
BuggieMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car