lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: won't keep running without choking

No that's not normal. Sometimes I have to tap the choke button on a cold start if weather is cold, but after that it should fire up without choke pretty much immediately. 95% of the time they fire up with no choke at all, even on a cold start. Even my 93, which had a bad counterbalance weight and smoked like a train, it could sit for a couple weeks and fire up instantly with no choke.

Is the carb an OEM Keihin carb or a cheapie aftermarket? I've never had any luck at all with aftermarket carbs doing anything but causing problems.

Also make sure the throttle cable is adjuated properly. Remove the lid from the black fuse box. Turn the key off and slowly press the gas pedal. You'll see and hear the microswitches click as the cam engages them. Set the length of the cable out of that box so the cable at the carb itself will start moving after the microswitches click, I usually go for about 1/2" of pedal travel after they click for carb to move.

If it moves at the same time, or before the microswitches click then you'll have starting issues.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2019, 08:40 PM   #12
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Its the original carb, can't remember the Japanese name. I'll have to go check the switches tomorrow. It really is not acting right.
49ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:02 PM   #13
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You may need to turn the idle mixture needle out a bit. If it’s all the way in it will start lean.
Second thing is check the setting of the throttle stop. Turn the stop screw out until it doesn’t touch the lever. The turn back in until it just touches, then turn in another 1/4 turn and that will set the throttle plate at the correct position for starting.

Third is check to make sure the governor cable is not pulling the throttle lever open before the starter engages.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:31 PM   #14
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok I checked the timing of the micros and the cable wasn't moving till after they clicked. I also checked the idle screw, it was opened to the stop. This model carb had a metal limiter on the screw. I also set the throttle stop position to 1/4 turn open. Still crazy starting. It also ran and started better at part throttle.
I also went back thru my work, I silicone sealed my patch on the air box, though I seriously doubt it was leaking, I double taped the connection of air box to hand choke tube. I also found throttle not completely returning to stop every time. I made return spring very slightly shorter and it closed well.
All that to say this. I called the neighbor and told him to come get it and try it for a while and see if it was going to work for him. He did and its gone.
I want to thank all of you for the good advice, it has been eye opening to learn all the many nuances of these machines.
49ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The throttle not always returning to closed will absolutely donit as well. Usually this is caused by the cable between the governor and carb being sticky or damaged. I end up replacing this cable on almost every motor I rebuild because over time, they just dont move like they should anymore. Just something to maybe look at jf it starts acting up again.

If theres a hole in the airbox it can do the same thing as well. Or if the lid isnt completely sealed tight. But sounds like you got that taken care of

Glad you were able to get it going. Hopefully it stays going :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car