lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2019, 08:17 PM   #1
jellyroll22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1997 CC DS gas intermittent running

Please help, I am an electric EZGO guy trying to help out where I can but I’m stumped. 1997 CCDS gas with KAW FE290. Was running fine then Monday while driving it stalled while moving. It would re start but run for inconsistent times. I’ve read on here about problems with the coil and the rev limiter. The rev limiter appears to be bypassed.

The outside of the carb was pretty dirty and the fuel filter looked old so I ran all new lines, new fuel pump, remove/clean/replace carb, and new spark plug.

All along it appears to have pretty good spark. At no point does it lose spark, at least when the plug is outside the cylinder and grounded to a bolt. Currently the cart will start but only fire for very few rpms. Sometimes it will run for 5 seconds, sometimes 15, never for very long or consistently. Cart has good compression.

Anyone have any ideas?
jellyroll22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2019, 06:56 AM   #2
jellyroll22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1997 CC DS gas intermittent running

No one has any ideas? Was hoping to have this running for some kids for trick or treating.

Coil?
Old 10-31-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
texastbone
Gone Wild

Club Car

Jelly,
I know this sounds crazy, My fe350 was doing the exact same thing, When it would die i had a spark tester hooked up and showed perfect spark
Went through all the basics and problem was still there. I changed the plug and have not had a problem in 3 weeks.
I have been wrenching for 40 yrs, I should have figured this out a long time ago
texastbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Have you tried adjusting the valves? I set both to .005

What color is the spark? It should be very bright and blue. If it's white, yellow, or pale at all then the coil is on its way out. Sure it may be "sparking", but if that spark isn't strong enough to ignite the mixture effectively, then after it runs for a little bit it's going to load up, flood out, and stop running.

If the spark is bright and blue then you need to look elsewhere. You said compression is "good"... can you clarify what "good" means?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
jellyroll22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

T bone- brand new plug.

Cp241- I haven’t done the valves, I will tonight, may also grab compression tester on the way home. Now you have me wondering about how good the spark is and leaning back toward the coil.

I’ll advise. Thanks guys.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:08 PM   #6
jellyroll22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

In the interest of closing this out, it was a bad carb. I had disassembled and cleaned, blew out with compressed etc but nothing worked. New carb on and she’s running good.

Thanks for the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car