lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #1
martinj102
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default clone motor, carburator,low idel,

iam getting near completion on a 18hp clone swap. I cannot get the idel low enough to allow the clutch to disengauge, motor dies, and if the clutch does not release then the cart will not stop.
martinj102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: clone motor, carburator,low idel,

You'll need a heavier spring in the primary clutch to hold it open longer.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
martinj102
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks man,... can you tell me more??... or next step??
Old 12-08-2019, 09:31 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'd call david hicks at revolution golf cars (site sponsor and very knowledgable guy). Club car made a carryall that was key start (it would idle instead of shutting off like a regular golf cart). I'd think the spring for one of those would do what you want it to. The clutch is the same other than that.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #5
martinj102
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thank you...
Old 12-12-2019, 05:27 PM   #6
martinj102
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

ok spring is ordered... clutch is off shaft... is it a straight forward process to pull face off clutch .. using something like a 3 blot puller... and does it matter that this clutch came off a clockwise motor and the clone is a counterclockwise?
Old 12-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If it's a club car clutch the only difference in the cw vs ccw clutch was the direction of the spring tabs under the slide buttons. If the buttons or weights in the clutch are worn, now is a good time to replace them. Make not of the direction the spring tabs face and install them the other direction when you reassemble.

The clutch face should pop off without a puller. I've had good luck threading the clutch removal tool into the clutch and giving it a solid tap with a hammer while holding the outer face. Usually it pops right off. Sometimes it's stuck on there pretty good and you do have to resort to using a puller.
If you do have to use a puller make sure you thread the puller bolts in at least 5-6 threads. If you only get a few threads in, the puller can take a chunk of the clutch and the threads with it.

Also be sure that whatever puller you use doesn't damage the threads for the puller bolt in the end of the clutch shaft. Here again, I've threaded the puller tool into the clutch and put the puller bolt against that.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #8
martinj102
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

still have issue with clutch engaging too soon.. cannot get the idle low enough to disengage clutch without engine dyeing.
contacted revolution golf carts and Dave hicks sent me a spring for FE350 and I installed..
same issue.
contacted Buggies unlimited.. very helpful got a much stronger spring,it was diffentely stronger,... but still cannot get it to idle and have clutch retracted... I am sure that someone has had this issue before ...
any assistance or clue I can follow to resolve would be appreciated...
thans in advance...
Old 01-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Are you using the factory starter/generator? If so, you'll just have to keep playing with it until you get it dialed in. Sounds like whatever clone you've got installed had a fairly high idle. The Kawasaki motors will idle really, really low before they die. That's how my gator was with the FE290 too. Or vegas carts makes a billet pulley for the starter/generator and using sn aftermarket clutch.

If you're not using the starter/generator... (or buy the billet pulley adapter)

Best bet would be to just use a CV Trch or comet 780 if you didnt cut and tap the crankshaft. I've got a CV tech and it works great on my 15hp lifan.

I've got another clone nearly finished and it had a stock ezgo clutch on it. I took it off, it would engage just pulling on the pull starter lol. I installed a clutch for a Polaris razr 800 I had laying around on it, still dialing in the engine idle but it seems to work perfectly. I'll know for sure later today when the belt shows up.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:13 AM   #10
martinj102
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, the only charger is the one that came equipped on the Duromax. Running off flrywheel. Not sure what a baillit is but I do have a pulley on the original clutch , that was used to drive a alternator .. It is still on the clutch ***. I'm have installed two different heavier springs and have similar results... "Can't keep engine running with clutch disengauged... Dies every time... There was some improvement when I installed the second spring from buggies unlimited... "Bought a clutch tuning kit"
But improvement was not enough....Any other ideas or who to talk to???
As before... Thanks

Tags
low idel on clone engine
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car