lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
Djtuck123
Not Yet Wild

Default I知 about ready to take this thing out and shoot it.

I have a 2002 DS with a 290. The motor was revving too high with very little speed, and somebody had been into the trans and resealed it poorly....and (this is my issue) the motor would not stay running unless I had the choke pushed in. Push it in, it would run, let it off and it would quit. So...I replaced the entire drivetrain (motor, trans, axle, clutches) with a 290 out of a 2012 DS. Problems solved right? Not so much.

Now the engine runs at the proper speed, and I can now get 20 mph out of it, BUT....it still won稚 stay running without the choke pushed in. Today I replaced all the fuel lines and installed a new fuel filter thinking maybe there was an issue there. Went for a ride around the block to give it time to warm up, did the same thing along with some small backfires.

I致e been screwing with this thing for almost a year and it痴 still not right. I am about at the end of my rope. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Djtuck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: I知 about ready to take this thing out and shoot it.

Is the complete airbox installed and the lid sealed tight? It can be a real pain to get both of the hinges fully seated up against the wall in the corner back there, and if it's not airtight it's not gonna be happy.

Also is it an OEM mikuni carb or an aftermarket chinese carb?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
Djtuck123
Not Yet Wild

I assume the airbox is sealed, I致e never opened it. I致e taken it out a few times, but I致e only removed it from the carb. As far as the carb, I知 guessing it痴 a factory carb, it came on the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Djtuck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The carb should say mikuni on the side of it. I'm assuming the motor ran and drove like it should on the other cart?

Assuming that's the case, you have 1 common issue with both the old and new motor with the choke problem. I'd start by making sure both hinges are fully engaged on the back of the airbox against the corner there. And make sure there arent any big holes or anything in the duct/snorkel running from under the cowl to the airbox.

Also make sure all of the gaskets are sealed between the carb and the spacers (both on the intake tube side, as well as the engine side) and the spacer and the motor.

Might be worth giving the carb a good cleaning as well.

And disconnect the fuel line from the carb and stick it in a jar. It should squirt quite a bit of gas into the jar when you crank it. Could be that your fuel pump isn't pushing enough fuel as well.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #5
Doc
Gone Wild

+ 1 on going thru that carb...take off the bowl, check for any dirt accumulation in it...chance are VERY good you'll find it gunked-up. While you're at it, replace the fuel lines with ethanol-safe rubber lines along with new fuel filters, of course. Lastly, make sure that the fuel is fresh...no more than 6-8 months old.
I've found that 99% of problems that involve what you're describing involve outdated fuel and hardened rubber ;lines.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:04 PM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

You say you've never opened the air box? Do you know for certain there is a filter in it? Is it intact (as in not chewed through by mice etc)? Club cars don't run right without proper restriction through the intake.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #7
Jeff McGuire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sounds like the slow jet (air-idle mixture) side of the carburetor is gummed up. I would start with a good carb. cleaning. Probably all your old motor needed too.
Jeff McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:00 AM   #8
1arunem
Gone Wild

Fought a similar issue with mine. Would run great for a while then just quit. Carb rebuild, new fuel filter, pump, etc. etc. I could drive it for a while in my neighborhood taking the same route and it would stop in nearly the same place each time. If I pushed in the choke it would run for 50 ft or so then stop. I could wait a few minutes then do the same thing.

I finally found a small piece of dirt/trash in the fuel pickup line inside the tank. Got that out of there and been running great ever since.

Good luck!
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:11 AM   #9
Mudd-Duck
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Check the pickup in the tank
Mudd-Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car