lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
ozycart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Allied lithium SOC meter

Where are you guys mounting the allied SOC meter? My first thought was to mount it with the tape next to the F/R switch, but I'm worried my kid is going to kick it off.

Then I thought about mounting it on the battery tub divider (have a 2008 Precedent with the divider between the batteries), but then if I need to get to the wiring in there, the SOC meter will make it hard to take that cover off.

Now I'm thinking about just sticking it to the top of one of the Allied batteries.

Any better ideas/pics?
ozycart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Allied lithium SOC meter

I have mine on top of one of the batteries. I just went on a ride and went pretty hard up and down some hills. 7miles total. When I got home it read 45% but after 15min of rest, still off the charger, it crept back up to 77%.

I mention this because, to me, it isn't worth having visible as it's not a true "real time" reading. So I just kept it underneath.

I have PQ Bandit and the 80ah.
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It is garbage if it changes that much while standing! SOC does not go up unless you charge your batteries! That means it is just reading the terminal voltage which is not a good indication of SOC.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:52 PM   #4
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
It is garbage if it changes that much while standing! SOC does not go up unless you charge your batteries! That means it is just reading the terminal voltage which is not a good indication of SOC.
I know I'm digging up an old thread but the SOC meter on my Allied batteries is crap. As I described above a year ago, it goes down and then rises after it comes to a stop. I would prefer to have something more "real time."

Is there anything I can buy to get around this?
Old 05-19-2021, 06:14 AM   #5
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlPack View Post
I know I'm digging up an old thread but the SOC meter on my Allied batteries is crap. As I described above a year ago, it goes down and then rises after it comes to a stop. I would prefer to have something more "real time."

Is there anything I can buy to get around this?
I mounted mine with 3M heavy hook and loop on my dash.
Yes the numbers are all over the place unless they sit for a short time and the battery voltage settles. Just last week I was running my cart and was checking the Allied gauge against my Fluke Multimeter and it is fairly accurate. Just after ride dash reads 52.3 and the Fluke read 52.2
after 15 minutes they both read 54.6
I am not wired direct to battery pack. I used the original Curtis bar graph wiring. At the end of the day most times it was off by .1 volts.
I have read many post from way more experienced people and it is my understanding (simple terms) when you put demand on the battery be it L/A or Lithium the Energy inside the cells moves around causing the inaccuracy of SOC at the moment and takes a little while for everything to go back to where it belongs. Think about the 1000 or so posts that say "after the charger stops wait 12 hours before measuring your voltage to get an accurate Complete SOC"
In my mind (Scary Place) you would need something to work with the internal BMS in your batteries and monitors/measures the demand you have put on the pack then delivers you an estimated measurement. This would have to be sort of AI. I cant Imagine the cost of such a device.... Heck, Microsoft Windows has been around since the 1980s and still says "1 minute left to download" for 5 minutes strait....LOL!!
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:52 AM   #6
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

This is one article I have read.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...tate_of_charge

Measuring state-of-charge by voltage is simple, but it can be inaccurate because cell materials and temperature affect the voltage. The most blatant error of the voltage-based SoC occurs when disturbing a battery with a charge or discharge. The resulting agitation distorts the voltage and it no longer represents a correct SoC reference. To get accurate readings, the battery needs to rest in the open circuit state for at least four hours; battery manufacturers recommend 24 hours for lead acid. This makes the voltage-based SoC method impractical for a battery in active duty.

Each battery chemistry delivers its own unique discharge signature. While voltage-based SoC works reasonably well for a lead acid battery that has rested, the flat discharge curve of nickel- and lithium-based batteries renders the voltage method impracticable.
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If you read the instruction sheet that comes with the meter, it says to wait 30 minutes after parking before reading the voltage or “percent gauge”. When a load is placed on the batteries (driving the cart) it takes a bit for it to recover. 30 minutes, while not enough time for a “true” reading will get pretty close to the ballpark. Mine will usually recover another .2-.3 volts after letting it sit overnight and holds pretty steady from there.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:44 AM   #8
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
If you read the instruction sheet that comes with the meter, it says to wait 30 minutes after parking before reading the voltage or “percent gauge”. When a load is placed on the batteries (driving the cart) it takes a bit for it to recover. 30 minutes, while not enough time for a “true” reading will get pretty close to the ballpark. Mine will usually recover another .2-.3 volts after letting it sit overnight and holds pretty steady from there.
Yea...I knew about all that. I wasn't sure if that was a function of the meter or the batteries. Sounds like the batteries.

Along with this issue, I'm of the belief I'm not getting the range I should be getting via 80ah.

I called Allied this morning and they said the free balancer they sent me last fall has a parasitic draw and isnt meant to stay mounted/connected. News to me. That would explain my 14% self discharge overnight while off the charger.

So I have removed the balancer and recharged. Now my batteries aren't balanced but I hope they "settle" throughout the course of the day. If they don't, I may have a warranty issue on my hands. I've had them 16 mos.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:11 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

What are your starting/ending voltages and after how many miles? What kind of range are you getting and what modifications does your cart have? And what kind of terrain do you ride on?

I don’t pay a lot of attention to my allied meter. I’ve got a digital volt meter and kinda watch it when I’m under load to tell me when it’s time to plug in. I’ll usually recharge when it starts to dip into the mid 49 volt range under load (fresh charge it holds around 51 in those same spots). Even then it still recovers to mid 52.x volt range after sitting so I know it’s not completely discharged. Allied told me 51.2 resting voltage is considered “dead” I’ve never gone that low and I’m getting 30+ miles on a charge with my 60aH pack
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:15 PM   #10
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

I'm getting roughly 20 miles per charge based on my odometer on my phone. See my signature for how it's configured.

I've removed the balancer and charged it back up from 86% to 100%.

Just after I tested each and they were waaaay out of balance. A couple hrs later they are seemingly coming into balance. I'll drive it tonight and do some calculations in order to determine if there's improvement.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car