lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2020, 09:13 AM   #1
poberly
Not Yet Wild

Default 93 ds burnt down

Hello,

Two days ago my 93 club car ds (36v) was stuck in low speed. Key off, it would still go forward or reverse. Yesterday I could smell something burning in the garage and when I pulled the seat The forward and reverse switch was badly burned. I can buy a new switch, however I do not believe that the switch is the problem.

My other option would be drop in a 125 Honda quad setup in it. I have one I bought for my kids who are currently 4 and 2. They are still a few years from being able to ride it so I’m thinking they could enjoy the golf cart now and I can worry about getting them something to ride later.

Have any of you had this happen to your cart? What was the fix?

Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2C4AEF97-422E-4CE1-8915-185934790D8C.jpg (20.0 KB, 0 views)
poberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #2
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

Default Re: 93 ds burnt down

Sounds like the solenoid is welded together. I’m d test the solenoid and if it’s bad replace it and the F&R switch.
I’m not questioning your fabrication abilities, I just want to point out that the average person doesn’t fully understand what magnitude of project they get themselves into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #3
poberly
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-N-R Customs View Post
Sounds like the solenoid is welded together. I’m d test the solenoid and if it’s bad replace it and the F&R switch.
I’m not questioning your fabrication abilities, I just want to point out that the average person doesn’t fully understand what magnitude of project they get themselves into.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’m not saying that I have fabrication skills, however I have been part of swaps like this in the past. I’m going to look into the solenoids first. I’m guessing they aren’t that expensive and the swap would have a few months of down time.

Assuming a solenoid is welded together, would that be able to bypass the on/off switch?
Old 06-21-2020, 11:24 AM   #4
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

Not so much “bypass” if it was the solenoid then the neutral position on the F&R switch should have still been neutral. If neutral was not neutral then something was seriously wrong in the F&R switch,
There’s a chance that the micro switch that is in the F&R switch went bad keeping the solenoid on

S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:14 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You would have to have two solenoids welded closed to accomplish that. The main solenoid and probably the low speed solenoid, which would be the one right next to the main. Assuming you have the 5 solenoid setup.

The key switch doesn’t matter if the solenoid is welded because the contact bridge inside the solenoid is stuck to the contacts. This provided power to the motor regardless of key position or throttle input.
It’s one of the problems with the old solenoid based carts. If you want to do yourself a favor you can get rid of the solenoids and convert it to solid state control and there will be almost 0 chance of that ever happening again.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

This does not sound like a 1993 cart. What is the serial number?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #7
poberly
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncarter View Post
this does not sound like a 1993 cart. What is the serial number?
a9315324989.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:04 PM   #8
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think that’s a vglide resistor set up not the multi solenoid. I would put a new solenoid and FnR. New FnR should have a new micro switch and while your at it could get a new vglide micro switch too. Not a whole lot more that could go wrong. Also verify vglide wiper is at bottom of pads when parked up as that could possibly cause an issue too.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #9
poberly
Not Yet Wild

Today the solenoid and FnR switch came in. I tested the old solenoid and it was shot. Just got it back together and all seems to be good. Thanks guys
Old 06-29-2020, 09:50 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by poberly View Post
Today the solenoid and FnR switch came in. I tested the old solenoid and it was shot. Just got it back together and all seems to be good. Thanks guys
Good deal. Just curious. Does this cart have a controller?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car