lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2020, 12:07 AM   #1
Jtt5002
Not Yet Wild

Default 2014 Precedent - Add USB Charger and Battery Charge Indicator to Key Switch

I have an ultimate light kit installed on my 2014 club car precedent, with that it came with some extra wiring (See wire pic attachment). I've also included pics of the dash and the existing wiring behind the dash.

1. I'd like to have all my accessories run of the key switch, currently the lights can be turned on whether the car is on/off. I want to install a USB charger that will only run when the key switch is on. How can I set this up? Do i have to split/join wires around the key switch? For the USB charger, i think i can use that 12v additional wiring from the ultimate light kit but i want it to go off the key switch. (If a best practice is to keep the lights off the key switch, that works, i still want the USB charger off the key switch).

2. In the dash pic, on the far left there is a OEM low battery indicator. Based on what i've read, this is through the OBC and not connected to the batteries. Can i use any existing wiring that's behind the dash, or would i have to run new wires to first and last battery? (in which case, i'd probably just keep the low battery indicator light).

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wire pic.jpg (17.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg current wiring.jpg (19.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg dash.jpg (19.5 KB, 0 views)
Jtt5002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2020, 06:03 AM   #2
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2014 Precedent - Add USB Charger and Battery Charge Indicator to Key Switch

The best and cleanest way to power all 12v accessories is through a 48v-12v voltage reducer. If you want to kill all the 12 volt power when the cart is not in use, get a reducer with a trigger wire that connects to the cold side of the key switch. When you turn the key switch on, the trigger wire wakes the reducer up and turns it off when the key switch is turned to off.

If you have an OBC then the 48 volt positive input to the reducer comes from battery 1 (pack +) or the same battery that's wired to the solenoid. The negative wire on the 48 volt input should be wired to the B- terminal on your controller. This arrangement will allow the OBC to account for the power used by the 12 volt system and properly recharge the battery pack.

A digital voltage indicator is the best devise you can add to your dash to read the SOC of the pack and real time voltage fluctuations when you're driving the cart. Site sponsors can set you up with everything you need to do it the right way. GOOD LUCK!
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #3
luvthegame
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2014 Precedent - Add USB Charger and Battery Charge Indicator to Key Switch

Anybody have pics that would illustrate how to install the USB. I was able to install the battery "fuel" gauge without adding any additional wiring. The USB is giving me issues.
luvthegame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
usb
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car