lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #1
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 Club Car Valve Adjustment

I've noticed a bit of ticking so I'm assuming my valves need adjustment. I've changed the oil and have a new spark plug in and new fuel filters.

Does the 2003 Club Car with the FE290 have valve adjustments or self-adjusting valves?

I watched a video on the adjustment but it didn't explain how to position the piston to the correct position before adjusting the valves.

I read another thread that said you can remove the spark plug and then put your thumb over the hole and when you feel compression pushing against your thumb that is when to stop and do the adjustment. Is that correct?
bigkahuna75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 Club Car Valve Adjustment

Remove the spark plug and stick a wooden rod or long straw in the hole. Turn the engine by hand, using the drive clutch works great. The piston will push the straw up, and then it will start to go down after it reaches the top.

Here's what I do, Watch the valves open (push down). Rotate it over a few times and watch them. you'll see the piston go up, and the exhaust valve open (pushing the exhaust gas out) and close. Then the intake valve will open as the piston goes down (sucking in fresh air/fuel during the cycle). The next time the piston reaches the top is TDC of the compression stroke.

At true TDC, both rockers should have play.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:01 PM   #3
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Awesome - thank you!
Old 08-01-2020, 09:56 PM   #4
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Update - got this done - the vale on the left (as you are looking straight on at the valve cover and can read OHV) was 0.010 instead of 0.005. Other one was right one.

Made the adjustment and the engine is much quieter now and running a lot better!
Old 08-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Amazing how much difference a little adjustment makes!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve adjustment
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car