lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
Raider97
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 400A Alltrax Controller setting changes for Allied?

For those that have installed the Alltrax 400A controllers with Allied 80AH Li-batteries. What settings did you need to change in the Alltrax controller for optimum performance? TIA
Raider97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2020, 06:29 PM   #2
Raider97
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 400A Alltrax Controller setting changes for Allied?

Latest update- if you have the Allied Li-Batteries, they need to be restricted to Max Armature & Battery draw of 165Amp, per Allied Support.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I can tell you that will suck.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Me too!! Ouch!!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #5
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

I have the Allied 80ah but still with the stock controller. Sounds like I need to stick with the stock controller?
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:00 PM   #6
Raider97
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlPack View Post
I have the Allied 80ah but still with the stock controller. Sounds like I need to stick with the stock controller?
I would stay with stock. If I had know this prior I wouldn't have bought an Alltrax controller. Gives me options in the future though.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks.. Speaking of Allied batteries, they are now selling these in 48v (30ah) to be wired in parallel.

This is a change from the 80ah I bought to be wired in series (4 x 12v). I reached out to their support team asking why the change and whether I should be concerned? To their credit, we had several back and forth emails and later they sent me a free balancer.

Apparently, with those in series, they were having issues with the pack becoming unbalanced. Personally, I had not experienced this but I've read about those that have...so....FYI.

I also asked about whether I could upgrade my stock controller given my setup in series. Long story short, they recommended 120ah (4 x 48V) for a 400amp controller and 150ah (5 x 48v) for a 500amp controller.

So...with my 80ah setup in series, I am SOL on upgrading my controller.
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If You had a bank charger, meaning a dedicated 12v charging port for each battery, then charging them in series would not be a problem.

Since the only means of protection (LV or HV) for those integrated packs is stopping the current flow, charging them in Series will stop if any single battery gets charged before the others.

As far as limiting the current, the Armature current has no direct impact on the battery current.

The battery current should be limited based on the battery discharge rate/time limitations.

The Armature should be limited based on the motor capability.

You can set your battery max current to 165A and the Armature max current to 400amps.

Your motor will still get the 400 amps it needs for a good torque during take off while not using more than 165 amps form the battery.

The reason for that is that at low speed the motor is not getting the full battery power, the PWM effect regulates the power so input = 165A x 50v while output = 350A x 24v.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:50 AM   #9
Raider97
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the clarification, Sergio! I agree on your recommended settings. I didn't understand their rational but didn't see any harm in changing it with my 80Ah batteries. They need to be more forthcoming in their technical sales but I believe they are learning as more people install. Allied tech support seems understands the component (battery) well but not the entire system and aftermarket controllers.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:20 AM   #10
Raider97
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Allied agreed with Sergio's recommended settings for motor vs. battery max. I made the changes which resulted in torque increase and better response. Speed is still there and very happy now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car