lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2021, 09:03 AM   #1
oldbeefcake
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Lithium Cart cutting off

Need some help. I did the lithium pack conversion last spring and everything ran fine until now. In the last couple of days the cart cuts off at full throttle with no power to anything. There is a jerk then dies. Based on my search here, most people are saying it is the BMS. When I purchase the battery this is the spec I requested from the dealer 48v club car precedent. 110a continuously discharge, 250a pulse discharge for 30 seconds and 600a max discharge. It is a 150AH pack. It is doing it no matter the charge level. The only thing I did to the cart before this started to happen was rotating the tires. I also saw some posts pointing to the MCOR. would a faulty MCOR trigger the battery to shutdown?
oldbeefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2021, 11:16 AM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Lithium Cart cutting off

Your going to need to list Cart specifics, battery specifics to get a good answer from anyone.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:31 AM   #3
oldbeefcake
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks. The cart is a 2014 precedent. The battery spec is in the original post. It is a 48V system. I did the OBC bypass and removed the OBC. I'm using the new 20A charger that came with the pack. The pack is one of those generic Chinese brand. Other users on here have similar packs as well but I don't see other posting similar issues. I ran this pack for the past 8 months with no issues.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:33 AM   #4
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

What type/brand of battery and BMS?
ACHiPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:33 AM   #5
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeefcake View Post
Need some help. I did the lithium pack conversion last spring and everything ran fine until now. In the last couple of days the cart cuts off at full throttle with no power to anything. There is a jerk then dies. Based on my search here, most people are saying it is the BMS. When I purchase the battery this is the spec I requested from the dealer 48v club car precedent. 110a continuously discharge, 250a pulse discharge for 30 seconds and 600a max discharge. It is a 150AH pack. It is doing it no matter the charge level. The only thing I did to the cart before this started to happen was rotating the tires. I also saw some posts pointing to the MCOR. would a faulty MCOR trigger the battery to shutdown?
Are you sure the battery is actually shutting down? As in 0 voltage at the time when this happens, or you have to reset the battery to make it functional again?

If it is just stopping at full throttle, it is possible it could be an MCOR problem, although probably not likely. I think it is possible that the micro switch inside the MCOR could (in theory, anyway) switch OFF up toward the top of the throttle range, and this would likely cause the controller to stop the motor. Also, it is possible that the throttle feedback voltage is out of range (too high maybe) when you get to full throttle and this is causing the controller to do the same.

Sounds more like a BMS shutdown when under heavier current draw though based on the brief description.

I would check pack voltage and see if that is normal, and check all your battery cable connections (and those to the controller, solenoid) just to make sure. Doesn't sound like any of that has been changed lately but you never know - I'd take a look at it all and make sure all connections are solid.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:29 PM   #6
oldbeefcake
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the help. The battery is some generic Chinese brand which I assume the BMS will be the same. It is in a sealed container. I did check the battery pack. It was around 55Volts. I had to unplug the quick disconnect and reconnect it to get power back to everything. When I say cut off, I mean no power to anything on the cart. I thought it was the fuse but it was fine. Do you think if the MCOR is bad then it would draw too much amp to cause the shut down? Would it be possible for the BMS all of sudden doesn't want to discharge? If I ease in the throttle then to full, it does not cut out every time.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:54 PM   #7
oldbeefcake
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Also, could it be the controller going bad? Since the lithium pack has much high voltage than the lead acid 48V.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:47 PM   #8
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeefcake View Post
Also, could it be the controller going bad? Since the lithium pack has much high voltage than the lead acid 48V.
It doesn't sound like an issue with the MCOR at all, if the power is going out completely like that.

Will the battery supply power if you flip the run / tow switch to tow for a second or two then back to run?

If that works, seems like a chance it could be controller related (though 55 volts wouldn't be the reason - a "48 volt" controller should have no issue with this).

It sounds like the BMS to me, and possibly one or more of its power output devices could be going out or already out.

Does it shut off if you accelerate 100% from a stop? Can you ease up to speed slowly and then hold top speed w/out it shutting off?
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:36 PM   #9
oldbeefcake
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I tried the tow/run switch and got nothing after it cuts off. The only way to get the power back is to disconnect the pack and reconnect. If I ease in the throttle then I can reach 100% without cutting off. However, if I ease on the throttle then press all the way down suddenly then it will cut off.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:08 PM   #10
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Could be a single bad cell that is dropping below the BMS cell protection voltage and shutting it down. Can you check the voltage on each cell?

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car