lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
ldoucet
Not Yet Wild

Default Wondering if anyone has seen or understands this issue?

I recently had evolution battery packs (48v, 60ah) put in both of my club car precedent's 2010 & 2013 models. My carts are stock carts with light kits and all I do with them is play golf. The batteries work great, with one exception. On BOTH carts, when the battery meter gets somewhere around 44-40% of life remaining, the meter will just fall super fast to 0 and I'll start getting the "battery going dead" beeping. When I get them to the charger, they begin charging at 0%. It seems like my meter is not corresponding to the amount of batter I actually have. I've tried charging to 100% and unplugging meter from battery and plugging back, that didn't help. When battery is in use, everything looks normal as far as my meter goes, the percentage left matches up with the 10 bars that is also on the meter. So when battery packs were installed, they did put voltage reducer for my light kits and they supposedly bypassed the OBC. I'm not a cart expert, but one thing that I found strange was that when the battery was shutting down, the original orange battery light that are on carts, was coming on, which I thought would actually not be working anymore, but I don't know?? I just find this issue strange that it happens on both of my carts and at roughly the same number of percentage remaining when it happens.
ldoucet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2021, 03:44 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Wondering if anyone has seen or understands this issue?

I'm guessing you don't have a meter\gauge that shows the voltage of the battery?

According to the spec sheet for your battery, the "Low Voltage Disconnect" is 41.6V. The spec sheet also shows the max charge is 58.4V.

I have no idea what the "orange battery light" is or does. I'm not a CC guy.

I can only assume this behavior follows that of my Nissan Leaf pack. Lithium batteries have what is called a "knee" in the discharge cycle, which is when the pack discharges to a specific voltage the "remaining pack voltage" drops very quickly.

On my pack the fully charged voltage is 58V. When my pack is reduced to 50V, it will drop very rapidly (at 50V it hit's "the knee") until the pack reaches 44V (the absolute LV cutoff).

I can only assume that when your pack gets to about 50V, that's the "knee" to your pack. So, you should be recharging your pack when it reaches the 44% level.

I don't look at my monitor that tells me % of AH remaining. I pay attention to the remaining volts in the pack. Actually, when I approach 50V, it's time to charge.
DaveTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:08 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’d double check the OBC bypass. I don’t believe the battery light should work if the OBC is bypassed. Mine doesn’t, but I took the OBC out of my cart completely.

What charger are you using? As Dave said, do you have an actual volt meter? If not you should get one and monitor the pack voltage both at rear and under load.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
ldoucet
Not Yet Wild

I’ve been thinking the obc bypass as well, my meter does not have voltage reading. I’m using the chargers you get with the evolution battery.
ldoucet is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car