lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #11
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Lithium setup disharging

I'm having the same problem with my now NEW Allied batteries in parallel. Ugh.

No accessories are wired to the batteries. I left them off the charger last night and it was down 8% this morning. I was having this issue with those in series that I just replaced.

WTH could be drawing current?
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #12
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I have Allied 12v in series. I noticed when stored for a week a significant discharge with my set up. So I went the normal routes. 1, Set it in tow while away. 2, make sure it was fully charged before leaving it. I then asked Allied what the best practice for charging is and this was the response. (I posted this on May 5th and only a few people read it) Hope this helps

This is just an FYI post.
I installed my Allied Batteries and charger, not knowing what the best practices were for charging.
I wrote to Allied and asked what the "Best Practice" was for charging and this is what I got back.

Asked:
With the allied charger, is it ok to leave it plugged in after charger finishes and the fan shuts off?
The scenario is the cart is at a campground. When done on Sunday I will plug it in and leave it until Friday when I get back there.
Is this practice good or should I remove the 110v power once complete?

Answer:
There are a few things we recommend with charging.
It is recommended to charge lithium batteries after every use. Lithium batteries can be topped off before use as well for additional runtime. Do not keep charger plugged in for more than 12Hrs or overnight. Using a shutoff timer may help for automatic charger disconnect. This will ensure longest battery life.
The timer is a good purchase for being away from the cart for longer periods of time. We suggest plugging in the charger to the timer and set the timer to charge the cart 15-30 (I assume Minutes) a day. This is only while you are away from the cart. If you use your cart daily, normal charging is recommended.
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:50 AM   #13
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

I was one of the few that read that back in May. Thanks for sharing it.

I just reached out to Allied and was told to put it in tow mode. I've honestly never done that ....I'll see if that helps.
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #14
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlPack View Post
I was one of the few that read that back in May. Thanks for sharing it.

I just reached out to Allied and was told to put it in tow mode. I've honestly never done that ....I'll see if that helps.
Again I am not an expert by any stretch.... But in my mind (Scary Place) these problems we see are only a learning curve, Going from Lead Acid in a Sepex Cart where you keep cart plugged in at all times, You will never notice the slight drop from the tow/run switch never being set to tow.
Where the new Lithium we are told will hold charge forever. This is true as long as they are kept on a shelf.
When in Run you cant easily push the cart until you switch it to Tow witch then disengages the Regen/Motor Brake. Therefore removing the Slight Draw of electricity.
My cart was Charged Fully on May 23 before I left my camp site. I have not been back since. I am anxious to see where the Voltage will be when I get there this Friday evening. It is my first test on charging and storing in Tow.
If the Battery Bank is Below 54v, I will be purchasing a True Disconnect Switch and trying that out so when leaving the cart for a period of time the controller is Separated from the Batteries completely.

Again I think most of our "Problems" are coming from the "Lithium Getting to Know You" phase of our relationship.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:16 PM   #15
Murby
Gone Wild

There's only two possible causes
1) Parasitic Drain (Most likely)
2) Battery self discharge.

If its parasitic drain, you want to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and all your balance leads. This will tell you if its self discharge of the battery itself.

Then start connecting up one thing at a time.

If the battery is self discharging, it will probably be a single bad cell and a good digital volt meter with 1/100 volt reading should easily tell you which cell is going rouge.

This is actually the first step because if you have one cell that is self discharging like that, then it can spontaneously go into thermal runaway at some point. One of those little dendrites makes a connection and bad things start happening.
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:02 PM   #16
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murby View Post
There's only two possible causes
1) Parasitic Drain (Most likely)
2) Battery self discharge.

If its parasitic drain, you want to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and all your balance leads. This will tell you if its self discharge of the battery itself.

Then start connecting up one thing at a time.

If the battery is self discharging, it will probably be a single bad cell and a good digital volt meter with 1/100 volt reading should easily tell you which cell is going rouge.

This is actually the first step because if you have one cell that is self discharging like that, then it can spontaneously go into thermal runaway at some point. One of those little dendrites makes a connection and bad things start happening.
These are Sealed "Drop In" Lithium Batteries.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #17
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briboy View Post
These are Sealed "Drop In" Lithium Batteries.
So, the BMS is integrated into the battery itself?

If that's the case, a disconnect of the + & - post with a check the voltage in a few days will tell you if the BMS itself is the culprit.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:46 PM   #18
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
So, the BMS is integrated into the battery itself?

If that's the case, a disconnect of the + & - post with a check the voltage in a few days will tell you if the BMS itself is the culprit.
This thread was started about a Leaf Pack. PearlPack and I have Allied Drop Ins.
The individual cell/BMS advice goes to the OP.

Yes each Allied Battery has its own BMS inside the sealed enclosure.
I truly believe the issue With the Allied owners to be us just getting used to Lithium from Lead Acid.
We are being hypersensitive and over thinking. Start small so we don't chase our tail.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:54 AM   #19
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm certainly no expert. If I remember correctly, each charge cycle on lithium batteries, regardless of amount of charge, lessons it's life span. (If I'm wrong about that, than the rest of this post is moot.) While lithium batteries have many more charge cycles in expected life span than LA. It seems to me that doing "topping off" charges is still something that one would want to avoid in order to prolong the life span. Is there no way to put the BMS within the drop in batteries in a sleep mode or off mode?
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:03 AM   #20
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
Is there no way to put the BMS within the drop in batteries in a sleep mode or off mode?
No, these are non serviceable completely sealed plastic box with 1 positive and 1 negative terminal. Everything inside is meant to last the life is the battery.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car