lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
Steves68Nova
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1987 Two Stroke questions

Just got a 87 cart with a 2 stroke engine. Have a few questions you gurus might help me with.

Is there any way someone can take a picture of the fuel pump for one of these? Ours is missing the pump and want to make sure of what it looks like before ordering.

Is there a way to test the oil pump to gas to make sure it is working?

Ours seems to work well enough when you get it started, but we have to choke it every time. It pulls good enough after starting, but has to take a few seconds to rev up. Don't know how to explain exactly what I mean, but let me just say you don't want to be stuck on rail road tracks and it die. Could this be a compression problem?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Steves68Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
Starspa
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 1987 Two Stroke questions

I just tested to make sure I had oil delivery yesterday. I think the easiest way is to; block up your cars rear end; unhook the oil tube connection at the oil reservoir; make sure there is oil to the top of the tube and start the motor; you should see the oil level drop in the tube, slowly but surely.

Another way is to block up your cars rear end; remove all of the gas and add a half gallon of a gas oil mix, I used 50-1; run the car for a few minutes so that the oil gas mixture reaches the motor; remove the oil hose that is connected to the carburator; start motor and watch the oil line; you should see a small dribble of oil coming out.
Starspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:31 AM   #3
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

How is your cart running without the fuel pump?? Anyway, if it were me then I would eliminate the oil system altogether and run approx 100:1 mix with a good quality oil. That way you never have to worry about it. The factory called for a 128:1 mix but 100:1 will work fine and I think is the general consensus on the board as a good mix. The failure to start right away is most likely caused by leaking crank seals. They are a pretty cheap fix. I would surely check the compression.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
Steves68Nova
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccowboy View Post
How is your cart running without the fuel pump?? Anyway, if it were me then I would eliminate the oil system altogether and run approx 100:1 mix with a good quality oil. That way you never have to worry about it. The factory called for a 128:1 mix but 100:1 will work fine and I think is the general consensus on the board as a good mix. The failure to start right away is most likely caused by leaking crank seals. They are a pretty cheap fix. I would surely check the compression.
Thanks for the answers guys. My son put a gas can just behind the seat with a hose stuck into it. It seemed to work. It let him drive up and down the sidewalk. Well I just don't want to be running it without oil in the gas and really tear it up. I believe it is working, but will try what the guy above you suggested.

Steve
Old 08-04-2009, 02:42 AM   #5
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

please make me feel better about the hose and gas can thing. Dont ride like that. Get rid of the oil system and premix, that way you dont risk pump failure and engine damage as a result. you should be able to trace the fuel line from the tank and find the fuel pump. Get up with some of the site sponsors and let them get you the right pump so your son doesnt accidentally set himself on fire.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:08 AM   #6
Steves68Nova
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccowboy View Post
please make me feel better about the hose and gas can thing. Dont ride like that. Get rid of the oil system and premix, that way you dont risk pump failure and engine damage as a result. you should be able to trace the fuel line from the tank and find the fuel pump. Get up with some of the site sponsors and let them get you the right pump so your son doesnt accidentally set himself on fire.
It was just a test run. We know the fuel pump is gone for sure. He is not running around the neighborhood, just a little juant to make sure it ran.

Steve
Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

no prob bud. good luck
Old 08-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Vix
Not Yet Wild

I agree with Sccowboy. Remove the oil pump and premix, I got my 87' from a guy who blew it up because the tabs on the end of the crank broke and thus the oil pump quit. I also run about 100:1, smokes a little, but better to have a little smoke that way you know your oiling her good.

Vix
Vix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
john5297
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

if you dont have a fuel pump on the motor it will suck air and act like bad crank seals. I found spraying carb cleaner around the seals will make the motor rev if they are bad a little hard to do on flywheel side. just be carefull.
john5297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
Steves68Nova
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5297 View Post
if you dont have a fuel pump on the motor it will suck air and act like bad crank seals. I found spraying carb cleaner around the seals will make the motor rev if they are bad a little hard to do on flywheel side. just be carefull.
There was a hole right on the top of the engine that felt like it was losing compression. We put a bolt into it and it started.

Steve
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO