lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
BradG14
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default choke question

i have a g 14 and it runs great, but my question is that unless i have my choke zip tied all the open at all times, the cart will just spit and spatter. when it is all the way open it feels great and pulls hard 30 mph. my concern is that this is not a good thing, but im not real sure? how do i fix this, or should i bother.
by the way, it acts the same way whether the airbox is connected to the carb or not.
BradG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
RICHIE RICH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: choke question

that is an easy fix, when you have to run with the carb closed
there is only a couple things that will cause that..
if you have notice that you have had to use more and more chock over time
id so you will need to do 2c) carb is clogged..

1) could be just real old steal gas (smell it) if gas is fresh move on

2) it could not be getting enough gas (is there plenty in tank) if so move on

2a) check to make sure there is no leak in any fuel line sucking air, if good move forward

2b) discounted fuel line that from fuel carb and use clear bottle and put hose in and turn over engine (put in neutral - disconnect spark plug for this) for about 5 seconds and see if you have gas in bottle
if not then you have a pump problem. if you do, then move on

2c) if none of the above solve it, you have a carb problem, most of the time this happens over time,remove the carb, take some picture as you take apart so you will be able to re-assemble.

remove the drain screw and drain gas, now turn upside down and remove the bowl, carefully lift float and see I needle moves freely, if it does great remove and take apart the rest of the carb, use a good can of carb cleaner, and spray, get in holes and let soak for 5 mins then spray with air, do this 2 or 3 times, now it is time to re-assemble, spay all part with WD40 or CRC use oil on all gaskets to soften them so they reseal as you put back together, if you can get a rebuild kit that's great to and replace all the parts and gaskets, but 80% of the time you can just clean it and you will be good..

the gas today is crap, I install a fuel shut off in my line and if I am not going to use for a more than a couple days I shut off valve and run out of gas and you won't have a clogged carb, winter storage I run them dry and then remove the full line and spray WD40 in the fuel hole to lube the inside of the carb, since I have been doing this I have no more issue.. hope this helps, the metering holes are small and the gums and crystallization will block them in a very short time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradG14 View Post
i have a g 14 and it runs great, but my question is that unless i have my choke zip tied all the open at all times, the cart will just spit and spatter. when it is all the way open it feels great and pulls hard 30 mph. my concern is that this is not a good thing, but im not real sure? how do i fix this, or should i bother.
by the way, it acts the same way whether the airbox is connected to the carb or not.
RICHIE RICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
RICHIE RICH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

remember a engine runs on a balance of air and fuel flow, slow the fuel flow, and the engine won't run unless you slow the air flow, look at it as a balancing scale, and it need to stay in balance, so your not getting enough full so it requires less air, as i said before, it also could be a pump problem, if it not pumping fuel by closing the choke that will make the engines vacuum pull fuel

also if you find there is no fuel being pumped, it may be the pump, but also could be as simple as the pump is not getting vacuum, so if there no fuel in the bottle, discounted the vacuum line and then turn over again with a guage on the vacuum line and make sure it is pulling a vacuum..
Old 01-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Could be as simple as the air box lid seal and the 3 rubber straps that keep it sealed. I've also had aftermarket air filters (just alittle taller then true Yamaha's) cause the air box not to seal.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
RICHIE RICH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

small block, unless i mis understood what he was saying, if he is tie wrapping it, that means he has it closed not really open, many people say that, but mean thay have the choke on...
Old 01-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

As I understood it, he has to have it "choked" all the time to have it run right. Air box problem.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
BradG14
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHIE RICH View Post
small block, unless i mis understood what he was saying, if he is tie wrapping it, that means he has it closed not really open, many people say that, but mean thay have the choke on...
this is correct, sorry for the confusion

thanks for the tips, ill see what i can come up with when i get to fool with it next..
BradG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
mlj427
Gone Wild

The g14 has a air box that if there is a tiny air leak you will have to pull the choke. Check the top seal (its a big o-ring), o-ring at the top of the filter, hold down straps (you can tie-wrap it), also the gaskets between the carb,the spacer, and the head, and that the spacer is not cracked.
Good Luck
Mike
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
RICHIE RICH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

YOU NEED TO RE-READ HIS FIRST POST

he said he has the choke tie wrapped closed, if it was a air leak, you would just give it a quick pull of the choke and it would take off and run with out the choke at top speed.

I have a G14, it has a round air box, I have the air box off as we speak, I did a test the other day for another post here, and I can assure you, mine runs just fine with no box at all install.. so the gasket on the box is not going to make it not run, you may need a little more choke till it warms up because of more air flow, but will run after 30 sec with out the choke.

the part you said about the intake gasket could be a question of concern.. but it is rare to see a gasket like that to leak unless it has been apart a few time or the carb is lose. but you have to take one step at a time...

since I don't know this persons machine...
I need to know it has fresh gas... I see this a couple times a month, you have to remember that not everyone here is a mechanic, you would be surprised how many times I see that be the problem, old steal gas is like running kerosene..running gas that is 6 months old or more in the tank will cause a motor to need the choke half to fully closed, this is common with all small engines, mower to weed whackers

it could be a bad fuel pump or no vacuum, pump, dirty carb or just old gas.. I don't know, he don't know, and no one here knows
we are all just guessing.

that is why I had laid out steps to isolate the problem...
when trying to find a problem you need to eliminate the possible things that are simplest to eliminate first...

being the machine is 15years old, rebuilding the carb and replacing gaskets is a great idea, but find the underlining problem first.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #10
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

i would check if the carb is adjusted correctly if he is still having problems after checking the gas and pump. 1 1/2 turns out on the mixture and 1/4 turn on the throttle stop screw.
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha