lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Bobcatc24
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G1 Gas Golf Cart will not start

First off I would like to say this site is so helpful but I just can't seem to find someone with the same problem I am having. I found an old 79 Yamaha G1 in a field and the guy told me if I hauled it off it was mine. When I picked it up it was running but it didn't have any power so I decided to tinker with it. I rebuilt carb and put new fuel lines on cart but now it will not even turn over. I have a fully charged battery and when I take the spark plug out it will turn over real fast and shoot gas so I know it is getting plenty of gas. When I put spark plug back in it will barely turn over.
Bobcatc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
irwin
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha G1 Gas Golf Cart will not start

Quote:
when I take the spark plug out it will turn over real fast and shoot gas so I know it is getting plenty of gas. When I put spark plug back in it will barely turn over
Hmmm, check the oil for gas contamination.. you might be getting too much fuel (hydrolock)... try disconnecting the fuel pump or plugging the line to the carb..crank it with no spark plug for 15 seconds .. put the plug back in and see if it cranks properly.

or....It could be the starter is weak. With no load (no compression without the s/plug) it'll work ok, but with a load, the worn brushes are evident.
irwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Bobcatc24
Not Yet Wild

I unhook carb and turned over till no more fuel came out. I then put spark plug back in and again it wouldn't turn over...I guess I will get new starter and see what happens from there...
Old 10-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
rib33024

Have you checked your battery with a DVM meter to see if it has more than 12 volts,
or your ground on your battery, check all your cables
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

or your ground on your battery, check all your cables

Good point Rib.
hook your volt meter to the starter case and the negative
battery post and try to start it, see if there is voltage shown
if so you have a bad ground.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
Bobcatc24
Not Yet Wild

Got it running today...Battery was pushing 12.4 volts so that doesn't seem to be a problem. It still seems like the starter just don't have the power to turn the engine over. I ordered a new one today so we will see. The guy that gave it to me had already bypassed oil injection so I think I mixed with too much oil. It is smoking quite a bit...will start tearing body down now that I have got it running and decide on body kit...
Old 10-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
Bobcatc24
Not Yet Wild

Installed new starter motor and cart is turnning over great...Took it for a spin and it ran great for two minutes but would start to bog down after about 20 seconds of cruising. After reading all the post and saw some of the reasons for losing power I BBQ the muffler today. Pretty cool considering I have a 2' flame shooting from the intake. I thought it was cool but wife was freaking out. Well I will let it cool tonight and slap it on tomorrow...Will let everyone know if it helped.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Bobcatc24
Not Yet Wild

Here is a pic of the muffler BBQ...surrounded fire with old trailer rims so I could manuever muffler...pretty simple
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Muffler BBQ.jpg (33.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 08-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
wikkedkilla92
Not Yet Wild

Hi i got a yamaha g1 gas golf cart and i put a new battery and spark plug in it and when i turn it in revers the buzzer goes of and the silonode clicks but thats it and there no spark to the plug can anyone help me please
wikkedkilla92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
RellLong28s
Not Yet Wild

Hi i have an older 83 or 84 gas g1 gas golf cart, dat want start sumtymes it eill turn over but want pull, the last tyme it started going it had a raddleing sound, i replaced the old starter wit and new one, still was'nt the problem. And it's not the clutch, any idea wat could be wrong. Help me please
RellLong28s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g1 cart, gas, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha