lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
jcevans
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default weak spark

On EZ-GO gas 1984 244cc I get weak or no spark. How do I tell if it is the pulse coil, ignitor or ignition coil? I have a diagram but no ohms or so given.
I would appreciate it if I could get the resistance value of these units. or any
suggestions.
Thanks J C Evans ( Carlsbad, NM)
jcevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
jcevans
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: weak spark

weak spark on EZ-Go gas 244cc 1984
Old 05-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

here are the usual suspects and how to test them:

factory coil should read 3.4ohms or so across the poles, most aftermarket coils tend to be a bit higher, high-output aftermarket coils can be as low as 2 ohms. And, also check the pulsar (that's done with the 2 wires coming out of the engine - red and blue) after unplugging it, you should get between 75 and 150 ohms on those wires, also if you want to be triple sure go ahead and switch your meter to the lowest AC setting on those wires and turn the engine over, you should see between .75 and about 1.2VAC generated by the pulsar.

If this all checks good, you're likely looking at a bad ground somewhere (very, VERY common to these carts) - go ahead and pull and clean EVERY ground point you can find, battery strap to frame, engine, behind igniter, regulator, etc (be as thorough as possible) - that often solves weak or intermittent spark problems all on its' own.

As to the ignitor, the factory manual test procedure is "replace with known good unit", and unfortunately, there really isn't a workaround for this (especially unfortunate as a new igniter runs right around a c-note, give or take) ... If everything else tests good and still no fire, you may want to do the HEI conversion (costs around $40 and takes about an hour, basically eliminates the ignitor and subs a mid-70's Chevy HEI ignition module) - the good news on the HEI mod is that it will give you a MUCH better spark than factory, is far less prone to failure than the EZGO ignitors, and will actually give you a noticeable improvement in starting and performance. If you REALLY want to go all out, when you do the HEI, pick up a nice high-perf aftermarket coil for around $20 and you'll likely never worry about spark again!

I'll keep an eye on the thread, if you need the HEI instructions and diagram let me know and I'll post it (although if you search my threads from last summer I did a few very detailed ones on the conversion)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
jcevans
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I appreciate this information very much. I use my cart to get around in. I'm 89 and
slowing down some. I would like the conversion information I to am fihting for survival.
Thanks again J C
Old 05-29-2011, 02:12 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

here's the schematic, the HEI module is available through any auto parts store, tell them you need a module for a 1976 Chevy Truck with a 350ci engine

Old 05-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
jcevans
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
here's the schematic, the HEI module is available through any auto parts store, tell them you need a module for a 1976 Chevy Truck with a 350ci engine

Boy you don't know how I appreciate gettig this information and THANKS!: I'm not very good at the computer but hope you get this. I will make a $20 donation to this place in appreciation for your help. thanks again jcevans
jc-8-evans@plateautel.net
Old 05-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

if you need tips, etc while doing the swap, feel free to ask, there are a lot of us here that are always willing to help !!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
if you need tips, etc while doing the swap, feel free to ask, there are a lot of us here that are always willing to help !!!!
thats what its all about.....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO