lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
Jednlulu113
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 91 EZGO Gas hesitant starting

I have not...no. Guess I'm assuming that since the ignitor was replaced 2 years ago, should be good..of course, now that I recall, I got a used one.
Jednlulu113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

jed you never have to apoligize to me if i,m wrong it won,t be the 1st time and i do want someone to point it out to me after all........i don,t know everything and i work on way less e-z gas carts than others ...........i,m just trying to throw some ideas your way that don,t cost anything but a few minutes time..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
Jednlulu113
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, had some time to fart around with the ol' girl tonight. Pulled both plugs to begin spark diagnosis. Plug closest to fan side fouled with carbon, coil wire coming from the back side of the coil. Proceeded to clean up both plugs with carb cleaner, wire brush and sandpaper. Popped both plugs into plug wires and had my son push the pedal. Spark going to plug closest to clutch side nice solid spark that fires from about 1/4" away from ground. Plug closest to fan has very weak spark and fires only with plug "prong" about 3/16" away from ground. At first I suspected bad plug wire but even after switching out the old with a piece of coil wire from a dirtbike, same result..faint /weak spark. Just out of curiosity, I put plugs back in and tried starting her up while leaving the weak plug wire off. I realize now that she's been running on one cylinder!
I suspect the coil has gone bad but don't understand how I would be getting weak spark out of only one side...what do you guys think? Coil? Ignitor? By the way, I tried just the plug wire (snipped) to ground and get same weak spark so I don't think it's the plug itself...I'd even swapped the plugs prior to swapping the coil wire. Any one familiar with what the ohm reading "should" be out of the coil? Thanks for any tips!
Old 06-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
Jednlulu113
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, I have to make some assumptions here:
The ignitor sends pulsating current to the coil. The coil manages that current and emits spark via the two coil wires. Since there is a single input voltage to the coil (from the ignitor), I have to assume since there is spark (although imbalanced) that the ignitor is "doing it's thing". Since upon swapping out the suspect coil wire (with weak spark) weak spark was still observed, I have to make the assumption that my trouble lies within the coil itself.
I looked around at length and it seems the best source for a new coil is eBay. $80 and some change for the coil + the spark plug wire leads (and boots) including the shipping cost. I HOPE this get's the ol girl back up to snuff.
By the way, after identifying the trouble (I listed in previous post), with a super clean plug and applying the coil wire directly to the plug tip (plugs installed of course) I could get both cylinders to fire right away....so, for whatever reason, by eliminating the boot on that side allowed me to get just enough spark to get that cylinder to fire. Fingers crossed, anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new coil now! I'll report promptly when I install. Wish me luck!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #15
cab_01
Not Yet Wild

I hope it works Jed. I had to replace my coil last year because of no spark to one plug.
cab_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #16
Jednlulu113
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

....still waiting for that coil to show up! Dang! That's the worst thing about being on a budget...no "readily available spare parts" on hand! Someday!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #17
Jednlulu113
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

my woes continue. Still only 1/2 spark.
Any takers?
Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
pnshvl68
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Could be the ignition modual... the little black box next to the voltage regulator. Answer me this Did you try to hook a jump box to it to give it more voltage? sometimes a weak battery may cause that problem.
pnshvl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #19
Jednlulu113
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Guess I assumed the ignitor either worked or it didn't....I am getting spark, just not even distribution out of the coil. I'd replaced the ignitor (ignition module) about 2 years ago...hoping I won't have to drop another $180 on one! Now, the battery could be a different story. It's a deep cycle Marine battery that's about 6 years old. I charged and used it in my boat for trolling and it didn't hold a charge long enough to get us back to the ramp....paddle, paddle, paddle from about 300 yds out. But, it seems ok in the cart, runs the lights and all.....I'll try charging and see if that helps. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #20
pnshvl68
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

let me know...
pnshvl68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backfire, valve seat, weak spark
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO