lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
bfdaddy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 83 to 90 marathon parts swap?

Just picked up a 1990 2cycle and was wonderin if its possible to switch the clutches. I know there is a difference but will it work. Oh the 90 has a bad motor.
bfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
cincinnati_kid
Getting Wild

Default Re: 83 to 90 marathon parts swap?

Sorry I can't answer your question but If you end up not being able to use it and you are interested in selling it let me know how much you would want for it. I am in need of a clutch. good luck
cincinnati_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdaddy View Post
Just picked up a 1990 2cycle and was wonderin if its possible to switch the clutches. I know there is a difference but will it work. Oh the 90 has a bad motor.
we need more info. which clutch are you trying to change. from which to which?
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
bfdaddy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Use the drive clutch from the 90 and put ot on the 83. They both look the same but 88 is the switch over year. Will it work?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

bf, the parts catalogues show two different clutches for those years. you might ask dave or brew what the difference is and if it would work. they sure look the same.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

So you want to put a 3PG clutch onto a 2PG engine. Well the honest answer is that I don't know as I have not done it (and I like my answers to based on having actually done the job myself). That said I can tell you that the crankshaft is the same diameter so the clutch will physically fit and you have nothing to lose by giving it a go.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Well, I TRIED to do some research but I came up with 2 different part numbers (as Madoc stated the 88-down is 23192G-1 and the 89-up is either 23817G-1 or 26952-G01) and the pics I've seen show that they indeed look a bit different (at the rear of the clutch) but I'm leaning towards Daves theory, if the crank dimensions are the same then considering the engine specs RE RPM, etc are similar, you should be fine provided it mounts up straight and secure. My concern would be that the starter pulley may be a bit different (it looks a bit wider on the newer style) but if that's the case, I wouldn't see why you couldn't remedy that with a pulley and belt swap or adjustment ...

Let us know how it goes, this is a good one for all of us to know!

Last edited by BrewCityMusic; 08-09-2011 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Typing faster than my coffee intake justifies this morning
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Perhaps I should reiterate that my advice is based on already having the parts so the experiment will be zero cost. I would certainly not advocate buying the wrong clutch but the crankshaft chamfer is the same so if they look similar I would go for it.

Dave
Old 08-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
bfdaddy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

O k whats the secret to remove the clutch. The 83's center bolt isnt breakin loose.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The secret is probably using an impact wrench. That is a long bolt that drives into the crankshaft and may well be cold welded in after 28 years. You will not be able to get any rust buster in there and if you use an extension on your wench you may well shear the bolt. Gently does it.
Dave
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO