lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
makobuggie
Gone Wild

Default Battery

Whats a good battery to use on a g1? I have a low cca one, its not holding a long charge, whats the way to check the chargeing system, i have a brand new starter gen, thanks
makobuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: Battery

I use Walmart specials. The cheapest top post battery I can find. They work great. If you have an Interstate Battery place in your area, check to see if they have refurbs. In my area, sometimes you can luck across them for around $20 and they are as good as new.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Battery

Yep that is key with the battery, I get batteries that get weak in the winter in cars and they last me 2-3yrs in the cart. Then in the fall they will die and I have to find another lol. I don't run it in the winter usually.

There should be a sticky post on the charging system at top of this section. It is usually a ground or other connection issue, fuse, or the voltage regulator. There are two small wires out of the gen they do the charging, go to the voltage reg. Some of the old ones are adjustable my G9 is solid state. It should show ~12v at rest and over 13v at higher rpm. You can take the belt off so you can run it and test, be real careful of the belt and moving things!!!! like with a car or anything, and don't rev the snot out of it, but kind of hard to do it otherwise. It is easier to take the belt off than to jack the rear of the cart up and put stands under it.

You should also set it to idle when the pedal is just on enough to start. It should idle real slow and not move the cart though it may creep if the clutches are dirty/etc. It should idle just faster than the starter turns it over. You can kill the battery driving around on the starter if the cart is not set this way, as per the manual. If it moves the engine should be moving it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha