lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
mgallagher
Not Yet Wild

Default 1983 gas EZ Go rough belt engagment at higher rpms

I have recently bought a 1983 gas EZ Go cart. It has sat outside for two years. I have gotten it running however as the engine rpms increase what appears to be a centrifugal clutch engages the drive belt by moving forward. As the rpms increase more it seems that the face of the clutch contacts the edge of the belt and this causes vibration and a pretty severe jerking feeling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is my first cart so I am somewhat lost.

Thanks!
Mike
mgallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
walt-rate
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1983 gas EZ Go rough belt engagment at higher rpms

HI Mike, and welcome to BGW..
1st check to see if your belt has any teeth missing, 2nd see if the sides of your belt are the same with all the way around.."no big thin spots" 3rd Put the rear of your cart up on a set of jack stands, so the tires are just a few inches off the ground, and run your cart with the seat off, "watch and listen for your vibration" it could be a tire from sitting so long, a bad motor mount "theirs three of them" just trying to hit all bases I can think of, try that and let all of us know what you find out..
walt-rate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
mgallagher
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Walt-Rate. I previously did these things. I pulled the seat off and had it on jack stands. I can see the edge of the belt contact the clutch face. When it does its almost like applying the brakes. Lots of vibration and slowdown. The engine mounts seem to be worn quite a lot. Can you tell me how this effects the belt engagement? Also I have seen several threads that advise cleaning and lubrication of the clutch. Do I need to remove the clutch to do this? Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
mgallagher
Not Yet Wild

Also I was looking at a PDF manual that someone posted. In looking at the exploded view of the driven clutch it seems that a worn spring in the clutch could allow the clutch to engage too much. Has anyone experienced this? Or am I not understanding correctly how it functions?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO