lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Default 2 cycle will not fire over when hot...

Hello,
Back again lol, I have gone all through my cart. It seems to fire up pretty good on a cold start. It takes about 10-15 seconds and fires over, but when I drive it down the road a ways and come back about a 1/4 mile I guess, then turn it off, it will not crank up til it cools down again about 30 to 45 minutes later. It just makes a whining noise like the starter is straining a bit. I have been wandering if this is a ignition coil symptom, because of getting hot i guess and not wanting to crank back up again. i have checked through the wiring. I have been trying to go through all of the electric stuff like new voltage regulator, solenoid, new starter/generator wires, new F&R switch and other new wires to the main electric parts. I have the HEI set up. I just went back through it though a few months back and got new ignition module with lots of grease mounted on piece of angle. It does however have a little nick kind of burned into one of the blue pulsar wires a little ways up, but didn't seem like it was broken. I have been trying to find another pulsar end with the big plug on the end to replace it with. I have also got the Mallory style coil that just has a - and + slip on connection and that all seems to look good. I have also checked my ground strap to the engine and made a new wire for that and a new ground for the F&R that goes to the frame. I sure hope i am missing something for why it could be getting hot. I have an extra starter that I am in the process of trying to get rebuilt, but can't find anybody at the moment. Could the starter cause issues to be getting hot and not cranking til it cools down? I didn't think it would , but wasn't sure.
fingerpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2 cycle will not fire over when hot...

Wondering if it's charging? Maybe a simple test would be after you've ran it and it doesn't want to turn over jump it with a hot battery and see if it spins or cranks. Just a thought.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

I tried that too racin. I am wandering if it is something to with the model coil that I got. It was a cheaper one from Autozone. I remember I was looking for the mid 70s Chevy Nova coil, but I had to go with another random coil that looked like it would work. I am going to try and research another coil that should work for the HEI pair up. Maybe that is what is causing me all the headache.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
racin161
Gone Wild

Could be an improper match. Worth a try let us know. The one I'm running on mine is a 1976 dodge van oil cooled it was for electronic ign and dodge had an external resistor or ballast therefore it's a straight 12 coil. no internal resistor K your call though.Let us know

LOU
Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Well, I put the new coil in today. I got one for a 79 Chevy nova. It fired up pretty good, takes 5 -10 seconds. I drove it for about 20-25 minutes down the road without turning it off. Then I came back and it was still doing it. I tried to crank it and it wouldn't. The starter was doing that straining kind of sound. I came back to it about 30 minutes later I guess and was feeling parts. The muffler and exhaust parts seemed to be cooled down, but the starter was still kind of hot.Is there something in the starter than can keep the cart from cranking while hot? I am at a loss, still seems like either ignition coil, module, or a ground wire keeping it to not want to crank while hot, but I have went through those things.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
racin161
Gone Wild

Ok can you remove the rubber plugs covering the brushes in the s/g ? Take a look at them They may need to be replaced. It's possible for one brush to wear more that another and cause it to drag under a load. IE: Engine hot.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
panelbeatr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Jack up the rear end run it at 1500-2500rpm and see what voltage reading you get at the positive battery post, when the cart wont start next time try jacking the rear end up and see if it will start up in the air not under load.
panelbeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Thanks guys, I will try to get to those the weekend. I got exams I Am focusing on right now in college.The cart has been absorbing me lately, but not this week lol. I'll get back.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO