lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
ernie36564
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 ez go gas cart not starting

I just recently purchased a cart. It ran great until today. It cranks over but won't start unless you take air filter which looks clean and breather top off completely. I also noticed it to be spraying gas out carb. It is a 1999 gas ezgo with a robins motor from what I am told. Can someone please help me thank you.
ernie36564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
ernie36564
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 99 ez go gas cart not starting

Can someone plz help
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
imnts2
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Re: 99 ez go gas cart not starting

Hi , I an not a cart expert but I am a pretty good mechanic. Besides I had a 99 TXT myself.

I suspect you have a float in the carburator sticking. That gas spraying you see with the air cleaner off almost makes that certain. But if it were mine I would tackle it a little differently, mainly because it is new to you.

First, I would remove both plugs and make sure they are clean. You may need to get new ones. Take the old ones to Autozone or who ever you like and get a new pair. but before you make the trip, use a pair of pliers and hold the metal part of the plug tight against the engine and spin the starter with the ignition on and see that you have spark. You may need to shade the engine a bit so you can see it. If you have spark, good. You have learned a bit. How to check for spark.

Now I would remove the valve cover and check valve clearances. You have 4 valves. With plugs out, you can turn engin buy the clutch housing by hand (turn only clockwise) Turn till one valve is as far down as it will go. Check the other 2 valves for clearance. If you cannot find specs, uses .004" . Adjust as needed. Now tune the engine again clockwise, till the valve you just adjusted is fully down and adjust the remaining 2 valves. (You may have to do this for each of the 4 valves, but I think it should work out that you can adjust 2 valves as once) You should search here to see it there is an expert on these engines who has spelled out the proceedure. But if there is not one, what I described is safe.

I use a little blue locktite to secure the adjustment and a little Red RTV to seal the valve cover back up.

Now you have learned a little more about your engine. I myself would get 2 tools from Harbor freight (feeler guage ($3) and compression guage kit (on sale for $20)) and do a compression test. Learn something more.

Now I would tackle the carburator. It needs removal and cleaning. Seach this site for instructions and pictures to help you. If you can't find any, take a lot of pictures as you take apart so you can put it back together right.

Also get a bottle of seafoam at WallyWorld and put an ounce in a full gas tank. Add an once with each full tank (1/2oz with 1/2 a tank)

That should more than fix it.

Cheers
lefty2
imnts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
ernie36564
Not Yet Wild

Thank you so much for the response. I will let you Know how it goes
Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
firecart1
Getting Wild

Start with the carb float like imnts2 said. That sounds like your major problem. I also agree with the rest of his post as well,but I would at least start with the carb. Good luck!!
firecart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO