lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
nsmithjr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 88' Ezgo Power Loss

Been having a problem with my cart running. I have a hard time getting it started, and it sputters when I get in to run. Has hardly any power.

Have changed both fuel filters, air filter and spark plug. Have converted to an Hei system , grounded the plug and I have plenty of spark. Have fuel pumping from the carb.

I was running great last week and has gradually got worse. Anyone have this issue or a solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
nsmithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88' Ezgo Power Loss

You might try switching the red and blue wires that go to the HEI.I'm not sure it'll help but it sure did with mine.Of course mine ran poorly from the beginning.It didn't get gradually worse.Still, it won't hurt anything and it's quick to do.Many people have had to do this.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
nsmithjr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply, I"ve had the conversion on my cart for about a year. It has ran fine until last week. Not sure if I have someting in the carb restricting fuel of another issue somewhere.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Ok, yea might be something else then.Go over that carb with some cleaner and an air compressor.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
nsmithjr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

This is my next thing on the list. Thanks
Old 06-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

here's a helpful diagram for cleaning the carb - I've circled all the jets that will need to be blown out with carb cleaner after you pull them.

The 88's are unique in that EZGO switched from the BV18 to the BV25 carb as well as an entirely different muffler assembly. The gain was almost 2hp over the original 2PG, but one thing you'll suffer for (I know, as I HAVE an 88 ) is that the carbs on these just LOVE to plug up for some reason - I almost never go much more than a month between dissassembly/cleanings (although I do a LOT of riding in dusty conditions, fields, etc - like 3hrs a day on average - so that doesn't help either)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
nsmithjr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks so much for the diagram, It will help out alot !
Old 06-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
nsmithjr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Finally had some time to check out my carb. Was really clean, inside.

I changed fuel filters again and noticed it was pulsating fuel in the filters. And not keeping fuel in them. Bought a new fuel pump, and It runs like a top.

Disassembled my old fuel pump and found a crack in the diaphram. thanks for all you suggestions and help, I was much appriciated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO