lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
PB6603
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 95 EZGO hard to start

I have a 1995 cart that is giving me problems lately starting. Its the 4 stroke 295 robin engine. Here lately it takes forever to finally crank and go. Most of the time i have to put it in neutral just for it to crank after a few minutes of trying. Choking the motor does nothing but prolong the start time. When it finally cranks, lots of smoke shoots out of the exhaust. I have put new plug wires, spark plugs (NGK), new fuel filter this week. Once the cart eventually fires up it runs with no issues until the next time it sits up (overnight or couple hours). Any ideas on my issues? Im planning on testing the coil and the phaser with an ohm meter today in case im getting a week spark.
PB6603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Default Re: 95 EZGO hard to start

Sounds like low compression, check your valve clearances. Make sure you have clean air filter. Lst, take a compression test. The spark plugs should have a blue arc and both be arching at same time, if only one arcs, probaly coil problem.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

You may have a bad fuel-pump as well,It may be loosing prime.Put a clear fuel-line from the pump to the carb.Let it sit a few days,then try to start it.If you don't see fuel instantly,there is your answer.If the diaphrams get weak,they will leak,letting the carb and pump drain back to the tank,and it is also hard for the pump to prime itself when its' weak.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
PB6603
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Last night i put a brand new clear inline filter between the tank and pump. Most of the time the filter is filled up half way with fuel which should be normal in my opinion. But recently i have noticed it was completely full of gas with just a tiny air bubble. Do you think its the fuel pump? The pump looks like an original pump (very old looking).

Today i played around with all of the electrical connections and made sure they were tight and non had any dirt built up. I sprayed solvent on the ground stud on the frame and the stud on the plate the igniter is bolted too. After i did this the cart started up fine. I ran it for about 30 minutes this afternoon and it did not miss fire or sputter at all. Hopefully i fixed the problem by accident. I will try it out again tommorrow afternoon when i come home from work. I will post the results.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
PB6603
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Also i checked the valve clearances this spring when i had to replace the timing belt after it broke. Valves were set at clearances referenced in the manual using the feeler gauge. The air filter is not new but its not bad enough to change. That was one of the first things i looked at.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The air-filter and valves would affect overall running,more than starting,unless they were really messed up.Bad Grounds will raise all kinds of trouble.Take everything on the grounds apart,sand them,reinstall and put some Dielectric-Grease or Battery-Terminal spray on them.Never use regular grease or White-Lithium,they conduct electricity and will cause their own little problems that will drive you nuts!Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:34 AM   #7
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
The air-filter and valves would affect overall running,more than starting,unless they were really messed up.Bad Grounds will raise all kinds of trouble.Take everything on the grounds apart,sand them,reinstall and put some Dielectric-Grease or Battery-Terminal spray on them.Never use regular grease or White-Lithium,they conduct electricity and will cause their own little problems that will drive you nuts!Hope this helps.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
PB6603
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry its took so long to get back but i apparently fixed the starting issue. I tightend all of the grounds and made sure everything was tight. It starts now just like it used to in the past. Side note though, i replaced the fuel filter with a new one. I noticed that after i drive it for a few minutes there is hardly any gas in the fuel filter. Just a little bit at the bottom. Why is this? Shouldn't it be at least half full? Is the fuel pump going out or is the line getting too hot?
Old 08-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Its' normal to only see a small amount of fuel in the filter,nothing to worry about unless it starts running different.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO