lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Harrington
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1986 EZ GO front axle

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace my front axle on my 86 ez go with a 88 - 90 front axle to get more clearance?
Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1986 EZ GO front axle

not really - the axles are the same on 86 and 88 (I have both carts) ... For around $50 you should be able to find a shop that builds springs, and have them fab up a set that are an inch longer than stock (if your cart is lifted that's likely the limit of what your steering components could handle without modification) OR if your cart is stock height then You could likely get away with about an inch and a half.

If your cart was an 89-up then a set of early springs (88 down) would give you another little bit of stretch as they are longer, but if You've got an 86 You're stuck having custom springs made to lengthen things up - at least $50-ish isn't a huge cost though ....
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
LiL' rascal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

[IMG][/IMG]

This is what I came up with but I have a four inch lift and I put a bevel on the top side to kick the front end out.

Sorry a five inch lift with 22-11-10's and I've got plenty of room
LiL' rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
LiL' rascal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

[IMG][/IMG]

Just to show you what it looks like.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Harrington
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I am hoping to get more ground clearance underneath the axle. I was hoping to go with the style of axle you have in your picture, the axle I have rides underneath the spindles, your spindle mounting is u shaped to mount the spindle on the top and bottom and that gives a couple more inches of ground clearance
Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
LiL' rascal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Talking Re: 1986 EZ GO front axle

Can you post a pic of your front end?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The TXT-Springs are 4" longer than the 88's(2" longer than 87'-older)As far as the axle,you will need an 88 axle and spindles to do the swap,it will give you about 2"-3" clearance,but won't change ride-height.If you decide on custom springs,let me know,I work for a suspension-shop and we build custom springs.Check out "Cart-Envy" by OffTwice,we built his front-spring to his specs.(I don't personally gain from this,just offering a service to members from the company I work for).Hope this helps
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Hmmmm ... My 86 and my 88 have identical springs lengthwise and identical axles, from the research I've done the 89 springs were the first "short" Marathon springs ... But hey, I've been wrong before
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Could be,Brew,I may be off a year.88' is a "Mutt",nothing is simple on them.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Actually, it's my favorite year Marathon, the BV21 carb with the high-flow exhaust takes the 2PG to over 11hp (which is better than the stock 9 and even higher than the 3PG at 11 even) ... The longer wheelbase in front gives you more leeway for tire choice, etc than the 3PG and there are several redesigned parts that are considered 3PG that were first upgraded from the 87-down models on the 88 like the heavy-duty alternator mounting system, etc. Yeah, *some* stuff is a bitch to find exact matches for (like the muffler and carb, mainly) but almost everything else interchanges and it's really worth it to have a cart that will outpull and outrun another Marathon (not to mention the 295 and 350 carts of later years) or at least in my opinion ... But I totoally agree, for the uninitiated they definitely can be a tricky SOB to figure out :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO