lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

Default Rear Axle G1

Just when ya think ya thunk it all out! My friend Slo came over last week to give me a hand and by the time he left he had discovered a bad rear wheel bearing. Don't know how I missed it but I did. To make things worse it sounds like the bearing is not replaceable but the whole axle has to be changed!!! Any slick fixes out there or someone have one used?
abieex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Rear Axle G1

I thought they just pressed on to the axle: http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-173...rear-axle.aspx

Ogre
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

I think the bearing your thinkin of is an inner bearing not the one by the hub. I have an idea the whole axle needs to be replaced cause that bearing comes with it. Not 100% sure though.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Hey Steve, did you take that axle off yet? I'm wondering if the bearing is on the axle, like pressed on? If so, it should be able to be pressed off. I'm looking at the parts diagrams, and there isn't an outer bearing listed, however on this site they list both bearings, inner and outer. You might be in luck buddy! Everyone sells the replacement bearing for like $12-$15.

http://gkzax.fafjs.servertrust.com/y...arts-s/189.htm

Look down and you'll see two G1 axle bearings. One is called "inner" but the one next to is just says "axle bearing", but if you hold your mouse over the photo a little caption comes up.... "outer axle bearing"...
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
rib33024

That was a nice find
looks like it can be replaced, looks like the bearing OgreTX posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Hey Steve, did you take that axle off yet? I'm wondering if the bearing is on the axle, like pressed on? If so, it should be able to be pressed off. I'm looking at the parts diagrams, and there isn't an outer bearing listed, however on this site they list both bearings, inner and outer. You might be in luck buddy! Everyone sells the replacement bearing for like $12-$15.

http://gkzax.fafjs.servertrust.com/y...arts-s/189.htm

Look down and you'll see two G1 axle bearings. One is called "inner" but the one next to is just says "axle bearing", but if you hold your mouse over the photo a little caption comes up.... "outer axle bearing"...
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

I'll be pulling it out first thing this am. I could have sworn I heard from Smallblock that that bearing was not able to be replaced. We'll see, Thanks guys.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I saw a thread here once where the bearing was tack welded on, but it was only on one side and it had some kind of spacer sleeve on there. Don't think it was factory. Yamaha engineers are perty shmart fellers.... Thinking it "should" be serviceable.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
Todd Dolfi
Gone Wild

Yamaha

There is a 1" sleeve tack welded to the axle but I think it's to hold the axle true in the housing not to hold the bearing on..you have to cut the welds ,press everything off/on then tack the sleeve back in..I'm not 100%....
Todd Dolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I saw a thread here once where the bearing was tack welded on, but it was only on one side and it had some kind of spacer sleeve on there. Don't think it was factory. Yamaha engineers are perty shmart fellers.... Thinking it "should" be serviceable.
Yeah that was mine when I removed the axles to get the brake shoes changed here: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-yamaha/76803-more-g1.html.

I've got some pics the thread, but to me, the bearings seem to be pressed on. The "sleeve" on the driver's side appears to be tack welded (three places), probably because it's the "drive" axle, as opposed to the non-driving passenger side.

From my pics I am pretty sure the bearings are replace-able as you said.

From Todd's comments: Again it appears to me that the bearings will slip over the tack welded area. As Slo said, the engineers knew that the bearings would eventually wear out, so I think they are replaceable. JMHO

Ogre
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

Ok, here we go. I included a couple of pics and if you look at the bearing race at appears that at some point it was not turning on the axle as much as it was turning in the tube. You can see copper thru the chrome and the inner part of the bearing seems good. The sleeve that hods it on the inside towards the trans does not appear to be welded. My guess is both the axle bearing and the tube maybe out of tolerance but the smart thing may be to try replacing the bearing first and see how it fits. This does not look like an original bearing. The tube does not display any signs of damage?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axle 002.jpg (111.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg axle 003.jpg (93.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha