lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
jmarkklock
Not Yet Wild

Default gas club car will not go slow

Hi guys,
My friend has an early 90's gas club car ds. He told me that when he puts it in forward and steps on the gas it will not go slow, it starts moving with a jerk and goes fast. As long he wants to go mid to wide open throttle it's fine, when he trys to go slow (like 5mph or slower) it wants to die. I am going to look at it Friday, any ideas where to start?

Thanks
jmarkklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: gas club car will not go slow

carburator butterfly most likely broken in half and the engine sucked it up typical problem with club cars
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
clubcarjeff
Gone Wild

Club Car

could also be that the throttle cable is adjusted for max speed and not allowing throttle to close fully.
clubcarjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Mark27
Getting Wild

Club Car

I had the same problem that was discussed here a week or so ago:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...d-problem.html

In my case it WAS the butterfly, but my issue was a small spring that would not allow it to close fully when the accelerator was released. Take off the air cleaner and check that butterfly. Watch what it does as you press / release the accelerator pedal. You don't need to even have the cart running, just watch the action of the butterfly as you work the pedal. I ended up rigging things for a temporary fix, but the difference is night and day.
Mark27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Early 90's?
Club Car changed their engine between 91 and 92,
91 and before is the KF82 flat head engine. (Mark27's advice)
92 and up is the FE290 OHV engines,
IF... it's a 92+... CCjeff is on the right track and this is what nobuckbuild is talking about:

051.JPG

Hope this helps!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
jmarkklock
Not Yet Wild

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I tried the cart out today. Its hard to make the cart run below 5mph, you have to play with the pedal pushing down and letting off. If you hold the pedal down at all it goes probably 8 or 9 mph. After that point the acceleration seems normal up to top speed. I checked the throttle adjustment going into the black box, it looked OK to me. I also checked to make sure the butterfly was there and operational, it looked OK too. attached pics of the black box and also the governor arm. Is there any adjustment that can made on tied rod from the pedal to the black box? Is there anything else I'm missing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (2).jpg (145.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo (3).jpg (105.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
jmarkklock
Not Yet Wild

Hi guys,
I ended up taking the carb off and gave it a good cleaning. I put a little more tension in the spring that closes the butterfly. I also loosened the throttle cable adjustment at the black box a bit. I cleaned everything along the throttle cable path from the black box to the carb. I put everything back together and the cart would run at "creep" speed fine. I really don't know what fixed it, I'm just happy that it works. My friend is really happy his cart works like he wants it to. Thank you guys for all the helpful replies. I hope I can "pay it forward" someday.

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 06-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #8
clubcarjeff
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkklock View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I tried the cart out today. Its hard to make the cart run below 5mph, you have to play with the pedal pushing down and letting off. If you hold the pedal down at all it goes probably 8 or 9 mph. After that point the acceleration seems normal up to top speed. I checked the throttle adjustment going into the black box, it looked OK to me. I also checked to make sure the butterfly was there and operational, it looked OK too. attached pics of the black box and also the governor arm. Is there any adjustment that can made on tied rod from the pedal to the black box? Is there anything else I'm missing?
Glad you were able to find a resolution. If you've lost some top speed, try taking some of the slack out of the cable in the electrical component box. In the pic, it looks like you should be able to tighten it up without affecting your low speed.
clubcarjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #9
jhosk
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkklock View Post
Hi guys,
I ended up taking the carb off and gave it a good cleaning. I put a little more tension in the spring that closes the butterfly. I also loosened the throttle cable adjustment at the black box a bit. I cleaned everything along the throttle cable path from the black box to the carb. I put everything back together and the cart would run at "creep" speed fine. I really don't know what fixed it, I'm just happy that it works. My friend is really happy his cart works like he wants it to. Thank you guys for all the helpful replies. I hope I can "pay it forward" someday.

Thanks again,
Mark
I have an 01 Club Car Turf 2 that I recently purchased and I felt like your issue was exactly my problem. I am loading up a lot of sticks and branches from trees in the bed of my cart that want to tip over and fall out at high speed. It was very difficult to accelerate gently or maintain a low speed. After reading this, I loosened the throttle cable at the black box and it really seemed to help a lot! I don't know if I gave up any top speed, but my yard is too bumpy to go fast anyway. Thanks for posting.
jhosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car