lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Fspor
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default 1988 Ezgo Engine Cuts Out

I acquired a 1988 Ezgo that runs great for about 30-45 seconds (both with the drive belt removed and while driving around) and then it appears to floods out. I let it sit for a minute or so (almost like the fuel in the cylinder evaporates) and then it runs again for about 30-45 seconds and cuts out. It's alomst like someone threw a swicth. If I try to get it running immediately by choking it, it spits, sputters and backfires. I have replaced the following with new or verified good used parts: carb (new), coil (new), fuel pump (new), igniter (used), spark plug (new). I've tried a separate fuel source. I visually check the reed valve assembly (appears to be in good shape). I have 120 psi compression cold and 120 psi compression shortly after it cuts out. I appear to have good spark initially and when it cuts out. The only thing I haven't checked is the pickup for the igniter but I don't see how that would change and then correct itself by letting it sit. Any thoughts?
Fspor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
redcloud
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1988 Ezgo Engine Cuts Out

try disconnecting the muffler and see if it keeps running. May be plugged bad enough to shut it down when pressure builds up. Sounds like you have checked all other things. Pickup could get hot and short but not in 30-45 seconds.
Have you cleaned and checked both engine and frame grounds?
Also check every connection regarding switch and f/r wiring. May have a bad connection that's loose. If loose, just vibration could cut out engine for bit of time.
Let use know.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Another issue reported here is that the regulator fails. This allows the generator output to rise to 18 volts which overheats the ignitor. After a while it cools and you are good to go again (for a while). Easy test just run it at a brisk speed and measure the battery voltage.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Fspor
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Thanks for the feedback. Will try this weekend and let you know.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
letitbe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Try running it with a timing light on it to see if your losing fire.
letitbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Fspor
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Well the voltage regulator, muffler, grounds, and wiring all checked out ok. I next checked the pulser coil resistance (manual says between 120 and 180 oms) it read 145 ohms. I then went to check the timing mark and got stuck at the need for a cooling fan/flywheel puller (Ezgo #17086-G1) which is obsolete. Searched other sources and found part #27111-G01 which according to my local Ezgo distributor is $136.92 and on back order at Ezgo with no leadtime due to the factory being shutdown for 10 days for inventory. I will have to try and find a generic puller that is small enough to work. Thanks for the tip on the timing light Letitbe. I'll have to try and dig mine up (it's been a while since I used it) or just buy another. I will update accordingly.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Fspor
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Used a timing light to verify that I am loosing spark. Will have to wait and find a generic puller or order one from the factory to remove the cooling fan/flywheel to investigate further.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO