lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
jmarkklock
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 G22 not getting spark

Hi guys,
The Mrs. and I were driving the G22 last night at the campground, she was driving because in her words I was "too drunk to drive a **** golf cart". It started making a loud noise that kind of sounded like a belt slapping against something. She stopped and I looked and did not see anything visibly wrong in the engine compartment. I tried to start it again but it would not start, the belts were spinning but it was not getting spark. We pushed it off the road and walked home. I went to look at it this morning and still was not getting spark. I pulled the dipstick and ugghh.. NO Oil. I just checked the oil a few days ago and it was full. I filled the oil to max on the dipstick then changed the spark plug and still no spark. I did not see any sign of an oil leak. I will tow it back tomorrow and check the compression. Any ideas other than we blew it up?

Thanks,
jmarkklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
jmarkklock
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2003 G22 not getting spark

Any ideas guys?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
jmarkklock
Not Yet Wild

Update: The cart is getting spark and fuel but will not crank/run. Today I removed the spark plug and set it touching the motor and there was spark. I removed the plug and it had gas on it. I'm still trying to find someone at the campground that has a compression tester. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Try to be more specific in what its doing/not doing. How can it not crank yet you saw spark? Hard to figure out. Spark/fuel/compression is all you need one of those is not right. Try to give us more detail.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
jmarkklock
Not Yet Wild

Hi Sho,
Thanks for the reply. If I turn the key and mash the pedal, the belts turn but it will not start. I pulled the plug and laid it against the motor and I could see spark when pressing the pedal. It is getting fuel to the carb. I am working on borrowing a compression tester from a friend.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
jmarkklock
Not Yet Wild

I was just now looking all through the cart to check for any kind of loose connections/wires. I noticed that there is a blue wire coming from engine right behind where the primary clutch assembly is. It was attached by a connector to a black wire with a red stripe. The black wire then goes into the black box where the solenoid is. Right where the blue wire connects to black wire the insulation had been pulled off. Look like it might have gotten snagged by the generator belt. The wire was not broken and it showed continuity from the connector to the bare spot. I wrapped it with tape for now. I checked inside the black box and saw a fuse that looked like may be attached to the wire (it was a wire from same piece of wire loom anyway) and the fuse was good. Does anyone know what this wire does?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The forum just had a similar post for "no start" and the problem turned out to be that the cable between the accel. pedal and carb. had broken or became disconnected and the carb. was not actuating. Pretty easy to check and will eliminate one possibility, so check that the carb is actually operating when the pedal is pressed. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Wire right behind the pri clutch is oil level sender, if you ground it to the engine block, it will illuminate the oil light on the dash. However, it will not stop you from running the engine if the oil is low, or if the wire is disconnected.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha