lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
Hawk Watch
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart won't run. Not sure why.

I have a 1994 EZGO 36V electric and a few days ago the cart stopped running. The batteries had recently been charged, but when I stepped on the pedal the cart shuddered and crept forward (barely). It did the same in reverse. I plugged the cart into the charger thinking that perhaps the batteries were too low. The charger only reads about 2 amps and slowly creeps to about 5 amps, then shuts off after about 2 hours. Typically the charger would shoot up to 15-20 amps and slowly come down. I checked the battery pack voltage and it reads only 36.0 volts. The hydrometer readings on all the batters are very low across the board (range is 1.125 - 1.190), but none of the cells on any battery are more than about 0.025 apart, so it doesn't sound like a bad battery to me. I have not yet taken individual voltage readings on the batteries. Additionally, the solenoid does not click when the pedal is depressed. I have no continuity across the large terminals, but do have continuity across the smaller two terminals. Both sets of terminals have a resister(?) running between each post. When they are re-connected I have continuity across both sets. Eventually the shuddering mentioned before stopped and the cart is now completely dead. I am at a loss... Could the low hydrometer readings in all 6 batteries be the cause of this?

Mike
Hawk Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
cashfive
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart won't run. Not sure why.

Probably the solenoid. Put a jumper across the 2 large terminals and see if it will run. If it runs the problem is the solenoid.
cashfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Mike, when you say the voltage reads 36.0, is that after a full charge or after a ride. If that's after a charge, there's a problem because that's about 40% SOC. Did you let them sit at least an hour before checking voltage. It's bad on batteries to go below 50% SOC. Some battery expert's will probably chime in on this.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Watch View Post
The charger only reads about 2 amps and slowly creeps to about 5 amps, then shuts off after about 2 hours. Typically the charger would shoot up to 15-20 amps and slowly come down.
This is a problem. Although the charger is indicating charging, you are not outputting the proper amperage. You may have a diode problem or capacitor problem inside the charger. What model charger do you have to we can assist with troubleshooting it?
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #5
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

with sport coupe
good luck
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

also.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
Hawk Watch
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
This is a problem. Although the charger is indicating charging, you are not outputting the proper amperage. You may have a diode problem or capacitor problem inside the charger. What model charger do you have to we can assist with troubleshooting it?
The charger model is a Total Charge III
Old 01-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
Hawk Watch
Not Yet Wild

Well, that's hard to say because I don't think the charger is charging properly. After the charger turns itself off and I let the cart sit for a few hours, that's the voltage I get. It appears that the charger isn't charging. I have another 36V charger for my 1988 Yamaha cart, but the plug it is not compatible with the EZGO.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Attached is the repair manual for the Total Charge III (and IV) chargers. Section B will assist you in troubleshooting and repairing the defective charger.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TotalCharge III and IV Parts and service.pdf (3.28 MB, 0 views)
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
Hawk Watch
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info sportcoupe. I will definitely check it out. FYI - This morning I was able to connect another charger that I know is good from my other Yamaha cart to the EZGO (using auto jumper cables) and got the same result with that charger too. The charger gauge slowly climbed to 7 amps and then stopped. Voltage for the battery pack is still only 36.0 volts and each battery shows a voltage of roughly 6.0-6.2 amps. I only have an analog voltmeter, so I can not get really specific on voltages other than say that the needle either points exactly at 6 volts or is slightly above 6 volts. Need to invest in a digital version I suppose. Question: would low pack voltage cause the solenoid to not click when the pedal is depressed? Or do I perhaps have multiple problems? Meanwhile I will check out the charger service manual.

Tags
batteries low, solenoid wont click
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO