lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
Polymath
Not Yet Wild

Default Can a DCS Controller be replaced with a PDS Controller?

I have a 1996 E-Z-GO with a 10 pin DCS controller that may be fried - the controller box shows evidence having been hot - as the plastic exterior schroud shows sighs of slight warping/melting - the interior components however appear - and smell - normal with no fried paths (on at least the top board)

The cart has been sitting garaged for the last 10 years with no use...

To date - I have not been able to test the DCS unit because the batteries in the cart need to be replaced - therefore I can't trouble shoot the unit - unless you can instruct me of a homemade hack to bench test it at the proper voltage?

All of that background being given... I'm asking if a conversion to a PDS can be made in a 96 model cart - reason being - I happened to come across a 73326-G02 PDS ESC at a local flea market today - the guy only wanted 20.00 - he really didn't even know what it was, I just noticed in a box of wires n'stuff - but he's always there and considered reputable as I've purchased various other electronics from him in the past with no issues - so I figured it was worth the core value - worst case scenario.

After pouring over schematics and wiring diagrams for a few hours - I believe I have determined that the first and most obvious difference is the control pin connection/terminal between the 2 models - the DCS having 10 pin - or 9 wires - one inline white connector / and the PDS having a 10 pin terminal - but in 2 rows of 5.

I "think" I also understand that in general there is very little difference in the 2 models as far as factory programming.
I "think" I've seen posts where people report better torque and a 19mph speed with the PDS

Other differences maybe being that the PDS is more upgradable and programmable?
Has a terminal for a performance option - 5 pin?
Has a terminal for a speed sensor - 3 pin?
Has a terminal for the Pin Tow/Maintenance Connector on the unit - are these pins located correctly for plug and play with my current plug?

Would the diode require a different pattern for the red/yellow (blue) wire connection with the addition for the PDS?

This is basically what I "think" I've learned to this point

In general the question is - Can the DCS Controller be swapped with the PDS? Would there be any noticeable benefits?

Thanks so much for your input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curtis1.jpg (209.8 KB, 0 views)
Polymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can a DCS Controller be replaced with a PDS Controller?

Without speed sensor data from the motor, a PDS cart crawls along at about 2 MPH, and the DCS motor in your cart does not have a speed sensor.

The field maps for PDS and DCS motors are different, but a DCS motor should run with a PDS field map. However there might be low end torque, top speed and motor heat issues.

Although the DCS and the PDS are both sepex drive systems, their control circuits are very different animals. See attached schematics.

Can it be done? Maybe, but replacing the blown DCS controller with a Alltrax DCX400 (or larger) controller would be a lot easier and you'd end up with a far faster, for more powerful cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - DCS.JPG (111.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS.JPG (64.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO