lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Hunting cart accessories

I suppose it also depends upon where you live\hunt as well. If you are hunting in a primarily flat place, then the standard factory roof is probably fine. However, I hunt in SW. Pa. where hills can kill you if you don't approach them with caution, and even if you do "stuff" can happen. So, I tossed my factory roof and went with an OutBack Fabricators hunting\sport roll cage. I've never rolled my cart, but at 1,000-lbs, I don't really want to. In fact, just a few days ago I was climbing a rather steep hill that on any given day I would have no issues. But as I approached the top, it simply turned to MUD and I could not make the final 10 yards to the top. So, I just let off the brakes to back down and now found myself in a going backwards down a gravel\mud road where when I hit the brakes, all 4 wheels would lock up and I was now a 1,000-LB SLED that wanted to go sideways. So, I had to alternate between a lock up and free wheeling to keep the **** thing straight until it began to level at the bottom. Only about a 60 yard run.....but enough to pee....just a little.

I was very confident that the roll cage would keep me from being crushed. It may have gotten tweaked beyond repair.....but....I would have survived. That's important.

Brakes are also important. I have the factory drums on the back and Jakes disc on the front. A great setup.

Brushguard....get a STRONG brush guard and one that can mount a quality winch.

Winch....don't buy a cheap one. If your going to get into mud....get a winch that will pull you out. I have a Warn and I have a metal cable. I do NOT like the fabric cable's. Metal does not break unless it's old. Fabric will break under heavy stress. Read the stories.

Fender flares. Get Flexy Flares. They are rubber and don't crack like EZ-GO plastic ones will do. They are also a fraction of the cost. Hey....less money...do the job...last forever. What a concept!!!

If your going to go electric, get a 48-volt set up and again, hills...get an Alltrax Controller and set it for torque. Buy quality batteries.

Have a limited slip differential installed so you have true posi traction.

Put a cheap winch on the back. You will need it to haul up big game or get out of an occasional tight spot. It doesn't need to be a Warn.

Driving over big rocks or logs? Have a skid plat on your differential cover. If you don't...you will find out later you will wish you did.

Have a separate 12-V car battery for your lights and winch.

If you look at my picture, you will see a "foot rest" on the back of the cart. This is being removed next month as it does nothing but cause the back of the cart to bottom out where I go. The top piece of ply wood is where I sit on a chair waiting to fling an arrow into a deer or simply shoot one. The platform will get smaller....but the arrows or bullets will still fly.

I upgraded to one of ScottyB's Reversing Contactors for my F\R switch. I highly recommend this as the factory F\R on a TXT is a weak point.

That's off the top of my head. Again, where you hunt will make a big difference. Plus your personal preferences.

Oh....the upright rifle mounts work great.....once you have a mount made to go from the top of the rifle mount to the (gotta have) clays basket. Have someone fab you up a piece of steel that will bolt from your gun rack to your basket. Then your rifles will stay put. You will need to dremel out a spot in your windshield....but hey.....this is a hunting cart....not a chick magnet!!!!

Dave

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
PAPABEAR1
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I like the vertical scabbard, keeps my shotgun secure and clean and dry.
PAPABEAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #13
gotmud10
Getting Wild

Is camo a must or is blacked out just as good to y'all?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (288.4 KB, 0 views)
gotmud10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
gotmud10
Getting Wild

Here is the front on my cart. I like this setup personally. What do y'all think? Would camo be better than the Bedliner?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (181.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Well, it depends if your hunting right off of your cart, or close to your cart....plus what part of the country your hunting in. If your out west where there is a lot of sage, black probably wouldn't be good. A light brown camo pattern would probably be best.

But again....it depends on where your hunting at.

Dave
Old 01-22-2014, 04:23 AM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmud10 View Post
Is camo a must or is blacked out just as good to y'all?
I'm not a hunter, but all the hunting buggies I've seen get "camo'ed" with mud.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #17
gotmud10
Getting Wild

Thanks for all of the input! Just trying to decide what route i want to go
Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #18
fildogg
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I vote camo, i love my hydrodip. currently trying to figure out the best front brush guard to mount my winch. may have to have something fabbed up, bc i haven't found anything i like yet.

fildogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #19
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Fildogg, I like the cammo wrap steering wheel and cammo wrap steering column. I see your cart is a 36-V. Do you have a limited slip differential rear end? Also, do you have a lot of steep hills to climb where you hunt??

Dave
Old 01-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #20
fildogg
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Dave, the steering column is camo vinyl wrap. i have a few extras actually. i had a few cut in case i messed up, but it was easy.

my cart motor and tranny are stock. i did upgrade my cables, controller, FNR switch and solenoid. i don't have alot of steep hills, but it does ok. my controller is programmable so i can add torque or reduce speed if needed.
fildogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO