lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
hookemtx120
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Yes, another newbie battery question

So I have searched and been reading multiple threads regarding 36v vs 48v and 6 8 volts vs 8 6 volts. I currently have 6 6 volt Continental GC110 batteries rated at 210AH. I am debating three options:

Upgrade to 48V using 6 Trojan Ranger 160
Replace current batteries with 6 Trojan T145 (keeping it 36v)
Upgrade to 48V using 8 Trojan T145

I am using my cart for hunting on a 500 acre rocky and hilly ranch and have a D&D high torque motor and all the upgraded goodies from Scotty.

It seems there is a debate whether the added weight of 8 6 volts offsets the AH gains compared to using 6 8 volts.

My goal is to increase run time and maybe add a little top end speed. If I do add the 2 extra batteries, I would put them in the bagwell, I am not nearly as mechanical as many of you to try and move my controller and solenoid and mess with the F/R switch.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
hookemtx120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yes, another newbie battery question

I went with 8 6 volt batteries with the extras in the bag well in a special battery box I found. I had just replaced my batteries so went with 8. If I were replacing batteries and upgrading to 48, I would go with the highest ah rated 8 volt batteries I could find and be done. The big deal is upgrading to 48 volts. How you get there is up to you. The upgrade really does make a huge difference.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
hookemtx120
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, I got the idea for the bag well and battery box from one of your posts actually. I had been leaning towards the 8 volt because of the weight, but thought I would get some thoughts from people on here. I think I should notice a difference no matter what since my existing battery pack is not all that great it seems from comparing specs.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

For just getting to 48 volt - (6) 8 volts will get it done nicely, possibly save you + 160 lbs vs ( 6 volt high AH Trojans. JohnnieB can fill you in on all the run time/performance details. His tinfoil hat is a cover for his alien-powers on all things batteries, carts, tires, controllers, etc., etc. This site has quite a few people with Inter Galactic powers regarding all things cart. Have not seen them yet on the Discovery or History channel, but I won't be surprised when I do.
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

hookem, If your batteries you have aren't all that great now, you'd be better off to get 8v's. If your batteries are getting weak now, a new set of any kind will help your range and run time out. Like Olman said, it's up to you how you get there but, you'll definitely notice a difference in performance. But 6 are cheaper than 8, and as you know lighter. If you go with the Ranger's, you'll definitely be happy with them. I just went to 48v myself and I'm glad I did. Hope this helps some.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemtx120 View Post
So I have searched and been reading multiple threads regarding 36v vs 48v and 6 8 volts vs 8 6 volts. I currently have 6 6 volt Continental GC110 batteries rated at 210AH. I am debating three options:

Upgrade to 48V using 6 Trojan Ranger 160
Replace current batteries with 6 Trojan T145 (keeping it 36v)
Upgrade to 48V using 8 Trojan T145

I am using my cart for hunting on a 500 acre rocky and hilly ranch and have a D&D high torque motor and all the upgraded goodies from Scotty.

It seems there is a debate whether the added weight of 8 6 volts offsets the AH gains compared to using 6 8 volts.

My goal is to increase run time and maybe add a little top end speed. If I do add the 2 extra batteries, I would put them in the bagwell, I am not nearly as mechanical as many of you to try and move my controller and solenoid and mess with the F/R switch.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
The easy one first.
Going to from 36V to 48V will increase both speed and torque, and the motor and cables will run cooler.

Regardless of voltage, range is determined by Watt-Hours your cart uses per mile (WH/Mi) and the number of Watt-Hours stored in battery pack.

Increasing the weight of the cart will increase the number of Watt-Hours it uses per mile, reducing the range, but any of the three battery pack combinations you've mentioned would be heavier and have more range than your existing battery pack did when it was at its peak.

Without batteries, your cart weighs about 600 pounds and the lightest weight and lowest kWh capacity battery pack you mentioned is the 36V using 6 x T-145, so I'll use it as the baseline.

36V T-145 = 9.9 kWh and 1032 pounds. --- Baseline
48V Ranger 160 = 10.4 kWh and 1056 pounds --- 2.3% heavier and 4.6% more kWh capacity.
48V T-145 = 13.2 kWh and 1176 pounds --- 14.2% heavier and 33.3% more capacity.

The best performance and highest speed would be from the Ranger 160 48V pack, but the longest range would be from the T-145 48V pack.

The difference in speed and performance would be roughly equal to the speed/performance loss caused by a 120 pound passenger.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
hookemtx120
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the responses, especially JohnnieB. your knowledge as rbuggies48IN states is amazing. I just really enjoy the information I gain from being a member of this forum. I am now completely addicted as my wife states and I can not wait for my next modification. Which interestingly enough arrived today from Harbor Freight. Some low cost 55w halogen lights (that I read about here) that I will use for driving until I can upgrade to an led light bar for hunting season.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I still say 8 - 6 volt batts are the best for range period
ESP . 260 amp/hr 6 volt batts being used
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great white north View Post
I still say 8 - 6 volt batts are the best for range period................
I agree in general terms, but there is an overlap between 48V packs made with premium and super-premium grade 8V batteries and 48V packs made with super-economy 6V batteries. The attached list shows the kWh stored in 48V battery packs made with various brands and grades of 6V and 8V batteries. The highest kWh packs are at the top and all ties are sorted alphabetically by brand name.

Not all battery manufacturers publish the weight of their batteries, but based on information from those that do, the greater the kWh of the 48V battery pack, the greater the weight. The rolling resistance of the tires on the ground and the bearings on the axles increases as the weight of the cart increases, but I don't know how much the range is decreased per pound of increased cart weight.

What that boils down to is: Increasing the kWh capacity by a percentage won't increase the range by the same percentage, but there will be an increase in range.

On the other hand, top speed and acceleration and speed loss climbing hills is more directly related to weight, so a heavier cart doesn't perform quite as well as a lighter cart.

Since most people will be going from sick batteries to healthy batteries as well going from 36V to 48V, better range and performance is almost a certainty no matter what pack they decide to build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48V kWh Comparisons.JPG (105.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
hookemtx120
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

One other quick one (I hope), it turns out my batteries are not as old as I thought. Can I add two 6 volt batteries to my existing pack that have a much higher AH like the T145 or will that cause problems?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO