lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #41
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: New Plowman's Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE::::

I just installed the plowmans airfilter, airbox mods, and the performance jets on my 2013 with about 25 hours on the meter. The entire process took me 1hr and 10 min from the time i took the seat off until putting the seat back on. Didnt take me so long since ive had the airbox and carb off my previous 09 yamaha when the carb gummed up from ghe previous owner.

I started with the airbox first. The lid that comes off i just took a razor knife and eyeballed the curved shape that is pictured in the instructions and made the cuts. The 5 holes were common sense. I didnt have a 1.5" hole saw that was deep enough to clear the intake throat tube so i had to cut the throat shorter with just a metal blade on a hacksaw which made for plenty of clearance for the hole saw to make the hole. After all holes were drilled took a dremel with a very fine polishing barrel to clean off any burrs or jagged plastic overlap in all the holes. Be sure to airblow and wipe out every piece of plastic debris or other trash in the box before reassembly. If not it might get blown straight into the carb.

Next was the carb. I didnt have a torch like plowmans recommends so i used a bbq grill lighter to light up the black plastic cap over the mixture screw. The factory setting was 1 1/4 turns out from seated. The plowmans kits calls for 1 3/4 turns out from seated. Easy enough. The pilot jet on top is just a quick change with a flat head screwdriver. The bowl on the bottom has a 10mm bolt that holds the bowl to the carb. When i took the bowl off i was amazed at all the reddish gunk (ethanol balls) in the bowl. Also in the threaded hole where the 10mm bolts connects if you look down the hole you will see another brass colored pipe that the head looks like a jet. Take a thin flat head and take this pipe out. Mine has about 8 tiny holes that were all gunked up. The main jet is also inside the bowl area that needs to be changed as well. I gave the entire carb a good cleaning and used some small tiny bristles and compressed air to ensure all holes were free before reaasembling the carb back onto the cart.

My cart is basically new so to you guys with older carts be sure to clean the carb top to bottom before installing back onto the cart. If not your gonna be repeating the process of removing the airbox and carb over and over again.

Everything back togther took maybe 15-20 seconds with the choke held open for the carb to gt back full of fuel along with pumping the pedal to get the cart to fire up. It is storming outside so all i could do is perform some revs and starts in the neutral position in between forward and reverse.

First impression even in nuetral there is a better response when wide open on the pedal. No hesitation or delay feeling like the factory setup. Havent verified hesitation yet in forward or reverse motion since it was storming. There is a little deeper tone to the engine due to the increased amount of holes in the box to get more flow. I was concerned about the extra noise but its tolerable and will get used to quickly. The carts gets to max rpms a crap load quicker than before. In neutral all i can get is 3150 rpms on my yamaha tachometer. I will need to bypass the governor all together to get more rpms at a later time. Not too worried right now with the cart being newish. Lastly the temps are in the mid to upper 40's right now and usually takes a little choke even when engine is a tad warm, now the choke isnt needed at all. Im sure on a 65+ temp day the choke will not be needed at all as well.

Sorry for the extremely long post but for anyone attempting this mod im more than welcome to answer any questions or provide any tips to the process as best i can. Thanks to plowmans for making mods for these fun carts.
What you observed in the carb is exactly what I saw in mine as well. That ethanol fuel is tough on small engines, especially if you don't run them frequently. It also sounds like you are getting results similar to what I got with mine. A more throaty sound from the airbox and snappier acceleration, and less of a need for choke.

And I stand corrected on the idle mixture. It is 1 3/4 turns out. My memory is not always the greatest. It is important to get that right to prevent hesitation.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #42
BisonGolf
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Great post DBMachine. Sounds like everything I did exactly except I didn't quite read the instruction correctly. After talking to Don, he showed me where I went wrong. Reread the instructions and I see what I missed. They are clear. I took it all apart last night and readjusted the carb and put it back together. I also adjusted the governor to about 3/4 of the way. I even attached the hose I missed on the airbox!! Runs really well now. I also got the correct belt in the mail at the same time. All together and it gets up and goes well. Lots more torque and speed. I ran a MPH app on my phone and it runs flat out at 19.6 mph. I think I can get more out of it if I adjust the governor further. Happy, Happy, Happy!! Thanks for all of you advice and help everyone. This carting thing is a lot of fun. Now I want an older on and put a V-twin in it. I'll wait until I move to Arizona later this year.

Next project, fuse box, new switches, 12v dash socket, stereo and re-wire all accessories.
BisonGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #43
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonGolf View Post
Great post DBMachine. Sounds like everything I did exactly except I didn't quite read the instruction correctly. After talking to Don, he showed me where I went wrong. Reread the instructions and I see what I missed. They are clear. I took it all apart last night and readjusted the carb and put it back together. I also adjusted the governor to about 3/4 of the way. I even attached the hose I missed on the airbox!! Runs really well now. I also got the correct belt in the mail at the same time. All together and it gets up and goes well. Lots more torque and speed. I ran a MPH app on my phone and it runs flat out at 19.6 mph. I think I can get more out of it if I adjust the governor further. Happy, Happy, Happy!! Thanks for all of you advice and help everyone. This carting thing is a lot of fun. Now I want an older on and put a V-twin in it. I'll wait until I move to Arizona later this year.

Next project, fuse box, new switches, 12v dash socket, stereo and re-wire all accessories.
With the zip tie on my governor, I can just about touch 21 MPH on the radar gun, so you are right in there. Bigger tires will give you more speed as will a rear gearset change, if that's what you are ultimately after. If you plan on driving it on relatively flat roads that sometimes share traffic with cars, you may want to consider additional speed mods. If, on the other hand, you use it strictly off-road (and on rough gravel or dirt paths) like in a campground, and/or often allow kids to drive it, 10 - 15 MPH is plenty. I almost never have to go to WOT on mine.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #44
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Sandbagger check your private messages. Thanks
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #45
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
Sandbagger check your private messages. Thanks
Apologies.... I don't always see that tiny number in the corner.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #46
dbmachine
Gone Wild

No problem.. On the top of the screen on the left side it says usercp.. Click that then on the left side scroll down to where it says settings. Click that then scroll down to where is says messeging and notifications. Click the check marks so that you can have an email or a big notification popup on the main screen whenever you open the buggiesgonewild site as a reminder whenever someone sends you a private messege or responds to a post that you have responded to.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #47
griff716
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

awesome post, replying so I can find it again!!
griff716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha