lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 Carb at too steep and angle?

I just got my engine back in the cart and have got the drive clutch fixed using parts from two of them and it's working good. It does take off hard if I don't watch it. Even spun the tire in the garage taking off.

I rode it all over and it did pretty good over all. I didn't check the speed but will do that soon.

The problem I'm having now is when I start up a steep incline. The cart looses power which is understandable with the size of the engine. But not far into it the engine begins to bog and die, like it's getting too much fuel. My thought is that with the height of the lift I put on it it's already at a steep angle and when I start up a steep hill I think the fuel in the bowl is overflowing.

I think I may need to drop the front of the engine cradle down. I actually started looking at dropping it down and back. But as anyone with a G1 knows, the exhaust makes this impossible without modifications too it.

So I wondered, how many of you with the G1 has done any exhaust modifications and what kind of mod did you do?
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Carb at too steep and angle?

Adding a lift will create an improper angle for the carb float. If you drive on roads and mostly flat terrain, it's not a problem. So you might be right in having to level out the engine. One other option is to make an adapter for the carb that will level out the carb only. You would need to make a plate behind the carb that is thicker at the bottom, so that it basically angles the carb up.

You might have to use a different carb, which would give you some more power and rpm by the way. If you use a different carb, you can make the mount pretty easily. 1989marathon did this, except his plate was flat and not angled.

Dropping the engine cradle/swingarm creates a problem with the muffler clearance. If you do any serious off roading, the G1 is not as easy to modify because of the big 2 stroke muffler/exhaust. If you eliminate it, it runs crappy. I actually ended up doing a clone swap, because the G1 wasn't as capable as I needed for the kind of off road driving I do.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Slo, That's my dilema. I knew that I had read about the muffler being removed or altered would result in poor performance.

The cart does run pretty good on level and slightly hilly roads but dies out completely when on any steep incline.

I had actually though about doing some work on the mount for the carb. I'll have to think on it some more.

I don't want to do too much in the way of mods as I do have all this generac stuff I'm going to build a cart with.

I may just ride this one as is for now and start looking for a newer cart for my generac build or just start stripping the other G1 frame I have too use it.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

What carb would I be able to change too and still have it work while making the gains your talking about as well?
Old 03-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I found the post about the larger carb. I was wondering if I could change the intake and use the same carb and from the pics in that post I can.

That being said, I would like too find a bit bigger carb so guess the hunt is on.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
Field6565
Gone Wild

Just curious.....how much lift is on your cart? My G1 is lifted 8 inches and I've never had a problem with it stalling out due to the angle of the carb while taking a steep hill.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have over 10" of lift on mine. I think somewhere close to a foot.

It's 21" to the floorboard on my cart now.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Yeah that's a lot of lift. Have you tried to set your float differently? Mine would actually run out of fuel at the top of some really long hills. Never could get that resolved. It wouldn't stall, just sputter and slow down, then pick back up again. I think it was the angle as well.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

The stock G1 carb float mounts from the side, not the front or back. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think it is adjustable. 30mm Mikuni VM carb is your friend for more power. Level the carb out. You can get an angled carb flange.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Marathon. I knew from having the carb apart that the float wasn't adjustable.

Where can a person find the angled carb flange?

I need to check the compression on this engine. To get it started after setting I have to pull the choke and crank forever before it starts. Once it starts then no choke is needed. So compression may be low. If it is and the engine needs a rebuild I may head a different direction.

We'll see as time goes along.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha