lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #21
MrNeon
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: yamaha g16

My 96" G16 has every item on Don's performance kit. Black spring, carb redone/jetted, clutch rebuilt with new sheaves, muffler, posi rear end, etc...governor disconnected per Don's instructions, 6 inch Jakes with 22" tires. I am GPS at 34 with one person. Even if the GPS is off a bit that pretty fast given most of the motor is stock! It climbs, and goes through anything, I even use it in the winter to plow snow.

Pic below is before the posi...but I doubt any cart or ATV could have gone through the bogg...I was on a trail that should have been closed so there was no way back, I had to go forward,,winched out 3 times and never hurt the cart!

[IMG][/IMG]
MrNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #22
duramax
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
My G16 has the "Hot Setup" as well as both of Dons clutches and the black spring, I ran the throttle cable direct to the carb and I can climb anything as well as still get into the mid 30's with 2 people on pavement easily at 4300rpm ... I actually found that running the carb the way Don set it up jet-wise *but* using the stock exhaust actually gives me a little faster response than with the HS muffler, though ... Then again, my engine was a fresh rebuild when I started so it's definitely nice and strong. The clutches made a night and day difference immediately, too (I also have his performance belt)
my drive clutch is a 6 month old Yamaha oem I got dons rear driven clutch,performance belt, jets & air cleaner . my motor has 155 psi compression & a new oem fuelpump. 27 mph was the best I have seen before the mods now 20 mph tops.. my tiny tach says 4000-4100 on flat land not sure how accurate?
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #23
MrNeon
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax View Post
my drive clutch is a 6 month old Yamaha oem I got dons rear driven clutch,performance belt, jets & air cleaner . my motor has 155 psi compression & a new oem fuelpump. 27 mph was the best I have seen before the mods now 20 mph tops.. my tiny tach says 4000-4100 on flat land not sure how accurate?
That pretty good. Don't know how mine is topping in the low 30's but before the last mod of the governor I was probably 25/27. 30 is more than enough for a lifted cart IMO but as usually we always want that bit more!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #24
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have my gov, almost to the end, it runs 23mph, I am happy right here I run on hard roads always, and it seems the faster I set it the slower I run it,,crazy;;; I live in a gated community ,we can run them on the roads,around the lake, everybody has a cart, most are stock, but some build them. I just touch the gas and run around 14mph. but like the extra if I want it..
sjfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #25
MrNeon
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Talk to Don at Plowman's and he will guide you through the governor bypass. I too had my 10mm nut all the way in and when I bypassed it, I got much more in throttle response. Hill climbing is a bit better but I think having the black torque spring is the reason from what I was told. It is more for low end pulling then top end speed so on a hill is where it comes into play.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #26
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I still have about an inch on the nut,,, yesterday my wife took it with 4 other people, 3 kids, I have some real long hills here. with that much weight it does drag a little but not bad. I do have a new rear clutch, black spring and new front,oem;; I am afraid if I change it anymore I might hurt myself, its a real prob, getting the little one cylinder to do it all,, if my stock motor ever goes, then I have plans,, a friend here has a brigs twin in his, real neat set up; it will run 35 easy and don't even know what a hill are with 2 people on,, I think that's the way,, the money that's spent to try to make the yam. engine do the job, can be better spent,, our local farm and fleet sells new 2 cylinder engines for less than the price of a front clutch'' electric start, and even have a pull, if you don't want to mess with a battery,, rambling;;;;;;;;;;;;;; anyway that's my 3 cents,,
sjfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #27
MrNeon
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You'll get a bit more with the nut all the way in if your concerned about bypassing the governor. Sounds like you don;t have the hot set-up from Don but some of the parts. If you re-jett the carb open the airbox up and get the muffler, you do get more power.

As for the motor, at least IMO, I beat it when I am off-road and I can tell you it's a tough little motor. Don says he has been trying to blow one up for years and still can't. Don't know if I would like to try but I trust his word on the durability of the engine. I just change the oil ever season, plug, lube whats needed, clean the air filter and go...

I too would like a big block but the cost is pricey and a lot has to be changed to make it safe for the speed and handling IMO...if my motor does go, I may look into a clone from Vegas Carts or have Don rebuild mine and supe it up a bit. The more I can retain the stock parts the better. Don said that the stock parts are built very tough for these carts and sometimes aftermarket stuff is not what it seems...he should know!

If your happy with what your got, then enjoy...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha