lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2014, 05:57 AM   #11
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bummer, about 2 of my newish batteries

If those lights caused those two batteries to be over-discharged even one time, that would have dramatically shortened their life..
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #12
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks eflyguy.

It's been awhile since I even tried to use the lights, so it's possible that back before I realized the light knob was getting so hot, I used them for awhile.....but not more than maybe a half hour tops. Would that be enough time? Could the wiring have been funky enough to actually draw from those 2 batteries, without even being visually turned on?

I'm slowly finding out that the guy who modified this cart (and I bought it from), did some things to it that caused problems.....so maybe this is one of them. I hope nothing else shows up. Then again........I have alot of mice to thank for some of the problems.

Thanks for your input!
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:58 AM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Your light switch getting hot concerns me. Does it get hot only while the lights are on, or always? Hate for you to kill your two new batteries due to a bad switch or wiring problems.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #14
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I got my cart back from the EZGO place yesterday. I've noticed that they've put in a fuse in a line to one of the batteries. Can I assume that's for the lights?

They totally re-did the lights and moved it from a funky location to the key. If that fuse IS for the lights......makes me think that the lights didn't have a fuse before, and it could have really ruined the battery(s).
I think I've probably had a number of problems because the guy who modified this cart (before I bought it), might not have known enough.

It's still charging from coming back from the shop..........so we'll see how it goes. (After I figure out why the exterior GFCI the charger is plugged into (with a long heavy duty extension cord), keeps tripping the breaker. To quote Rosanne Rosannadanna........."There's always somethin'". :)
It's always made worse by the fact that I don't know much about wiring, etc.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Unplug the fuse and see what no longer works. Horn, lights, etc.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #16
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm afraid to touch anything, since everything works now! haha
By the way.......where would I get one of those little fuses, just to have as a back-up?
Old 03-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

So your switch no longer gets hot?

As to a backup fuse, just remove and see what you have. If you don't know, take it to a Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, or automotive parts store. There are two common types, cartridge (usually glass cylinder) or a more modern blade style fuse (plastic color coded with two "blades". Both type fuses come in more than one physical size, as well as amperage rating.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #18
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The EZGO people totally re-did my light wiring. The guy who modified this cart put the light knob all the way over to the left of the steering wheel. The EZGO shop moved it to where it should be, and connected it to the key thing, so now I can turn the cart on, and one turn further are the lights.
I'm also seeing a couple new fuses under the seat, so I'm thinking the first light set-up was probably pretty bad.......and very well may have ruined those 2 batteries.
One of the fuses looks like a little memory card-type thing. And the other one is a black plastic box. I'll try to take pics of them some time.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #19
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
One of the fuses looks like a little memory card-type thing. Mini fuse

And the other one is a black plastic box. ATO fuse

Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #20
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for those images Crash Test! That's really helpful.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO