lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
silverlinedan
Not Yet Wild

Default Starter problem for 2001 G-16A

Hello,
I have a 2001 G-16A. I am pretty sure I need to get a new starter but wanted to "test my theory" before I purchase. The golf cart will not turn over. There is the clicking sound from the solenoid and but starter with not turn. I have check voltage in battery and at starter and it appears fine. I also swapped the battery out with one from our other carts and it runs that cart fine. I have also checked all wire connections and they appear fine. But, if I put the cart in neutral and carefully turned belt pulley on the starter by hand, the starter will engage and start the cart. However, the first couple of rotations of the starter are very slow and you can hear a "scraping" noise as it turns. That is what leads me to believe that the starter is bad. Is there anything else I can check or am I correct in my theory.
Thanks
silverlinedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
duramax
Gone Wild

Default Re: Starter problem for 2001 G-16A

sure sounds like a starter
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
silverlinedan
Not Yet Wild

As a follow up, I took the belt off the starter pulley. When I turn the pulley by hand with no ignition it turns freely with no resistence or scraping noise. If I push the gas pedel with ignition I still have to start it going by hand but it engage for a few seconds and stop.

So I tested the solenoid by disconnection the wires on the two large posts on the top of the solenoid and measuring the omhs across the two large posts. With the ignition off it is zero omhs. When I turn the ignition on and press the gas pedal, the solenoid clicks and the omhs measure 133 omhs and than slowly drop to between 3.7 and 4.2 omhs. I believe the reading should be around 0.4 omhs, correct? So now I am thinking and hoping it is the solenoid becasue a $30 solenoid is a lot cheaper than a $275 starter. Any thoughts?
Old 05-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You could also try eliminating the solenoid by connecting the battery positive directly to the starter positive with a jumper cable and see if it acts the same. Make sure you have the cart in neutral when you try this. If it does turn out to be the starter or if you're not sure, you can save some money by looking up an automotive rebuilder and take the starter/gen. there for checking and/or repair. These starter/generators are pretty rugged and are highly rebuildable or repairable. May just need new brushes. Good luck - RAY

P.S. - Poor connections in the high current circuit could also be a problem (especially at the battery).

Last edited by bigstik40; 05-19-2014 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: add PS.
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
silverlinedan
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for info Ray. I had not think to try that. I would have saved a ton of time, lol. When I jumped from hot post to hot post, I got the same result. So I pulled started and will take it in tomorrow to have it rebuilt.
Thanks again!!!!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Glad you got it sorted out. Let us know the final outcome. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
moesdeals
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlinedan View Post
Thanks for info Ray. I had not think to try that. I would have saved a ton of time, lol. When I jumped from hot post to hot post, I got the same result. So I pulled started and will take it in tomorrow to have it rebuilt.
Thanks again!!!!
If rebuilding is too much I have a good used Yamaha original equipment starter for $100 + shipping
moesdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

when the brushes started to go on my G16 I also had to occasionally give it a little assist to get spinning - pull the starter and install new brushes (about 15-20min and extremely straightforward to do, about $12 a set) and You should be fine. While You have it apart, it also never hurts to clean up the armature with some fine emery cloth too - once You do this, You should be just fine
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
silverlinedan
Not Yet Wild

Okay, I had to do the quickest fix possible as the cart is our maintenance cart at the resort and we were in a jam without it. That was to purchase a new one from NAPA. I ordered the bushings and will rebuild the old one. We have three G16s so it never hurts to have a spare.

It was the starter. The cart turns over just fine. However, there is a new problem. The cart will not start and the forward and reverse are backwards (it wants to go forward when in reverse and backwards when in forward). What did I do, lol? The starter is the exact same model number as the old. The wires are the exact same and I installed it the exact same as the old. I did not mess with any other wires. One the cart.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
silverlinedan
Not Yet Wild

Okay, I switched the F1 and F2 leads and the cart runs fine, forward is forward and reverse is reverse. However, I know that this was not the way it was wired when I removed it. Also the wire going to F2 is barely long enough to reach post and I had to remove a zip tie to get the length. Am I missing something?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha