lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
Jason fisher
Not Yet Wild

Default 86 gas ezgo won't run , where to start

I am now the proud owner of a 1986 ezgo cart and have enjoyed reading your answers to the questions posted . My question is more of a " so you just bought a cart that stopped running , or in my case , wasn't running but cranks over ", where would you start to diagnose the problem . I'll follow all direction and post my results ( which should help the next idiot !)
Thanks in advance !
Jason fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: 86 gas ezgo won't run , where to start

Welcome to BGW Jason First remove the cARB and give it a good cleaning. Then if you can drain the tank replace the fuel with fresh. We'll need to know if the pump has been removed or still in place. Pics of the engine will help. We'll go from there

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:05 AM   #3
Jason fisher
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info , had some time on my hands so i started off , kinda on my own ( because I'm a guy ) and this is what i found and recommend to anyone just starting off (who knows very little ) :

( ill defer to most anyone who wants to change the order of importance )

#1 - I got an inexpensive compression tester and found that i had 60 psi ,
removed the head and found a totally screwed piston
found a piston and cylinder on ebay for $199 and bought it , later finding it for $99 (oh well !)
#2- replaced the piston and cylinder , taking pictures with my cel phone along the way
- after about 4 hrs had everything back together , finishing my 3rd glass of jlor and thinking , did that piston have any markings on it ???
- removed everything again and found that i had reversed the ex on it and took the whole **** thing back apart .
- decided that drinking while doing this may not have been a great idea .( while opening the next bottle )
#3 - thought, that if the last idiot who owned this dropped a washer while replacing the carb , i should remove it , take it apart and clean it all out .
once off , sprayed carb cleaner in the crank hole while giving it a blow out with the air gun , had a couple pieces of junk come out , but nothing major ( i did the same thing when i had the piston out if i didn't mention it )
#4 - put the carb back together , now totally clean and cranked it over , nothing .... crap !....., and i wasn't even drinking this time !, ( so good news, i realized that drinking played no part in the piston fiasco , and am now back to drinking wine while repairing !)
- noticed that i didn't put the reed valves back in , which i found when i put my fresh glass of wine on the shelf !
- took the carb back off , installed the reeds (... piss off , yes correctly ! ) and tightened everything back together , accounting for all washers and screws !.
#5- checked the fuel delivery , took the hose coming out of the pump and found that it was working intermittent , took it off , found some dirt on the diaphragm cleaned everything and back together it went ( installing a new fuel filter ) , ahh much better !
#6 - now attached the plug wire and checked for spark against the ground , all good ( and no i didn't drop my glass when i got shocked )
#7 installed the plug and wire and crossed my fingers

Alas i am now the proud owner of a running 1986 ezgo , 2 stroke cart that is driving the neighbours absolutely crazy and my family wants me to get rid of ! its like a gift that keeps giving every day !! , i drive it places i don't even want to go ! usually with a bottle of wine !

thanks
jason
Jason fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
racin161
Gone Wild

Sounds like a great rebuild to me

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

And THAT is what makes a rebuild so much fun.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
Skattracker2
Not Yet Wild

Jason must be single.

My wife told me I had 10 minutes to work on my new cart last night and 12 min later when I had fixed it with a different fuel pump she was mad because it took longer than 10 minutes. Oh well, I have a good running cart now.
Skattracker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO