lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
wheezy68
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Advice w/85 G9 Gas Cart

Here's the deal, last January the cart would not run so I had the compression checked. Sent the motor off for a complete rebuild. Installed new motor & coil. I have gas, spark and compression but it will not run. Left it at a local cart shop and they could not figure out why it would not run.Cart mechanic stated it could be the BRAIN. I know this is a vague picture of the problem, any ideas from the experts? I want to keep it but it's driving me crazy!! Thanks
wheezy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Advice w/85 G9 Gas Cart

When you say "it has gas", thats a little vague. Gas in the tank? Gas in the carb? Gas dripping off the spark plug? Gas filling the crankcase? Have you tried shooting a little brake cleaner or carb cleaner into the carb inlet, then cranking the engine to see if it then starts? Did you try a new spark plug (thats a cheap thing to try)?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

It could be the brain? Man I'd find another mechanic/shop. Get your self a "dynamic spark tester", about 8 bucks and you can see if you have any spark. If you just "ground" the plug to the engine and it slips off, that will distroy the TCI. Like gctech said, if the plug is wet, you have fuel.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
wheezy68
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I will try and post a video of what it does, as I stated earlier, the mechanic that worked on it kept referring to a brain of some sort that controlled the electrical aspect of the cart. Thanks for your help..
Old 06-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

They have an ignitor, its on the side of the fuel tank. Its expensive, they don't go bad very often. They can get loose in the case or at plug and have intermittent problems, some get hot and have problems, some just die. So some run cold or when you squeeze them, some you can't tell other than no spark. Its not a brain lol, its a TCI pretty similar to a CDI. It exists because it retards the timing at idle so it starts easily and yet has good power at higher rpm. The G2 version also has a limiter in it, a rev limit, G9 does not.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
They have an ignitor, its on the side of the fuel tank. Its expensive, they don't go bad very often. They can get loose in the case or at plug and have intermittent problems, some get hot and have problems, some just die. So some run cold or when you squeeze them, some you can't tell other than no spark. Its not a brain lol, its a TCI pretty similar to a CDI. It exists because it retards the timing at idle so it starts easily and yet has good power at higher rpm. The G2 version also has a limiter in it, a rev limit, G9 does not.
And it is worth noting that the G2 and G9 ignitor do not interchange. The ignition system on a G16/G22/non fuel injected drive is called a TCI, the ignition system on a G1 is called a CDI, a ignition on a G2/G9 is called a IGNITOR.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I thought I read the ignitor was TCI based, but I could be mistaken. There is a way to put a G9 ignitor on a G2 but you are correct in that you can't just plug it in, they are different. It is apparently one of the few small engine ignitions that properly advance the timing, and I'll try to install it on my clone if I ever get the time lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
wheezy68
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Its' a Vestivus Miracle, I found a wire that was frayed and BAM!! Now I have two carts......
Old 06-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

CAMPERCART2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:16 AM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheezy68 View Post
Its' a Vestivus Miracle, I found a wire that was frayed and BAM!! Now I have two carts......
Was the wire perhaps routed behind the coil, rubbing on the 10mm bolt head securing the air shroud to the engine? Mine would randomly crap out while driving, I found this problem on my G9 when i first got it. I just noticed ('85 & G9 together), i think they were G2 in '85, not yet G9. If you have the body-style like i have ( <- in photo at left) with a white steering wheel & column, its a G2. If its a black steering wheel/column its a G9. I have one of each.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha