lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
gravelydude
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Mountain Gravel Roads

I have an 85 DS 36volt with resistor control. We live half the year in the mountains. This cart has a couple of problems on steep gravel roads. Biggest problem is braking power. In steep areas, the brakes can be easily locked up; but then there is the "gravel slide". Not extreme, but a few feet of sliding. Cart has stock wheels and tires. Would this be adequately solved with different tires, or would I need a front brake kit of some kind? Second problem is torque going uphill. Speed is reduced to about 5 mph. Would a motor rework (Plumb Qwik) help with this, or do I need more?
Thanks
Jack
gravelydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
PAPABEAR1
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Mountain Gravel Roads

Front brakes or at least rear disc. and yeah you need more electrical ponies....someone will chime in ....I am a gasser guy...
PAPABEAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

You need to upgrade to a high amp controller and lose the resistors along with a solenoid and cables f&r etc. You might try adding a couple batteries to your cart putting more voltage to that 36er and see how that does. Some other electric folks will jump in shortly....
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Yeah you gotta get that 'toaster oven' setup out of there. Here's some good info: http://cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
http://cartsunlimited.net/Scottyb_s_Conversion_Kit.html
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
gravelydude
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am not sure that the resistor set-up is my problem. In my neck of the woods, my foot is either off the pedal (going downhill), or to the floor (uphill). Is the resistor set-up really slowing me down in this situation? I wouldn't think so, but I really don't know for sure. As to suggestion about rear discs, I don't see that that would help much, as I am already locking up wheels with stock brakes. Just need to either get four tires braking, or increase traction with two. If a tire change would help here, that would be my preference. Any one with experience in the mountains that could chime in on this? Thanks to all,

Jack
gravelydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

If you get a high torque system, you will go much faster than 5 mph going uphill
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Check your brake adjustment. Odds are you have one wheel locking before the other. On gravel its hard to keep that from happening, but if they catch together, it will happen less often.
We do have a site sponsor that sells 4 wheel brake set-ups.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Sounds to me like you already have your answers. If the brakes are locking up then they are working as well as they can. Wider tires or a more aggressive tread may aid traction. Of course four wheel braking would also work but at what a cost!
You are also correct that with your foot hard down you are shorting out all the resistor coils and applying maximum torque to your motor. That said if your batteries are heading south they will sag going uphill. It would be worth your while connecting a DVM across the pack to see what voltage you are applying under maximum load. If that looks good the a relatively cheap modification would be to replace the high current cables with a bigger and better set.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #9
TAT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ditch the resistors. I did the conversion from carts unlimited. Package c54 I believe with HD F/r and 2 awg cables. You will only use amount of power you are using. If that makes since. That package will work on 36 or can 48 if you ever needed to upgrade batteries. I noticed a good bit of torque diff after the conversion also got a little faster. Disc brakes on the back would be a good deal for ya too. Guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. Sky is the limit!!! Lol you won't be sorry you did the conversion. I do plan on a pq motor then I will upgrade to 48 volt when I need batteries.
TAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
TAT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Also if you do add bigger tires, I would think that would be more rolling mass and would take longer to stop. Same as adding bigger heavier tires to your truck.
TAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car