lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
Lancer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default engine won't stop idling

If my engine gets a little warm or hot, it won't shut off. I have to lift the seat, use a glove and apply pressure to the clutch cover to get the crankshaft to stop turning and shut the engine off. If the engine is cold and I drive the cart for 1 minute, it will idle for maybe 10 seconds then cut itself off. For this reason, I am not suspecting a problem with the kill/start switch under the pedal (I put a new one in 4-5 years ago). But I can easily test the switch by manual connecting/disconnecting the wires, so may do that but feel like it's something else.

I also put an aftermarket carburetor in 3-4 years ago. Wondering if there is something wrong with that causing the engine to "diesel" - run on it's own without spark plug. Maybe I need to adjust the idle screw or something. I installed the new carb without touching anything.

I am a novice mechanic but a quick learner. Just can't figure this out yet - any advice on where to look?
Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: engine won't stop idling

It happened to me just a bit prior to have to change the TCI...

If soon the machine stops when warm and restarts when cold then it will be the TCI.

What is your model ?
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
Lancer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

1997 G16. What is the TCI?
Old 05-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
1997 G16. What is the TCI?
TCI = Transistor Controlled Igniter

Your trouble can come from several reasons; I'm just informing you that it could pre-annnounce a TCI problem. In any case, you should wait before changing it...

But would you have to change the TCI , absolutely buy an OEM and definitely not an aftermarket!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (82.5 KB, 0 views)
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Make sure the carb butterfly is closing all the way.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:19 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also make sure the plug at the base of the front of the engine is plugged in. It's blue & black wires. That plug is responsible for "killing" the ignition system when the pedal is not pressed.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #7
Lancer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

CGTech

finally getting back around to this.

I followed the kill switch wire back to the engine, and noticed that a wire was not connected to the engine. So when the gas pedal is not engaged no signal is getting to the engine to kill power.

Problem is, I have no idea where to connect this wire. There is a plastic cowling around the engine, I am thinking buried behind there somewhere is a connector for this hanging wire.

Any clues as to where this wire connects? the other wire from the pedal switch is secured to a bolt attached to the engine block (outside the cowling). I am thinking this is ground.

and can I get to this connector without having to disassembly a bunch of stuff?
Old 11-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The blue wire does in fact go under the cowling, and the cowling must be removed to fix it. It connects to the coil. The cowling can be removed with the engine in place (no matter what anyone else tells you).it's tricky, you will be frustrated, it requires a 1/4 drive rachet, extension, "wobbly" universal joint, and short & long 10mm sockets. Remove the gas tank, it will make the job so much easier.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

I leave "that" bolt out upon reassembly...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #10
DonH57
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I was going to ask what's happening as well. Had it happen when we returned home. It sat and idled. I backed it out of the garage and smacked the area behind the seat where the relays are located. It stopped. I pulled it back into the garage and it shut off on it's own. Is there a start/ stop relay up under the rear behind the seat? I would think if it was an EFI model the cart would shut of with the switch off.
DonH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha