lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2020, 01:18 PM   #41
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Navitas a/c precedent/onward , speed!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatWave View Post
Are the folks putting up the big #s running topless, w/o windshields?

Those barn door windshields / tops create a ton of drag.
I had the same thought. I have a full windshield on mine but will most likely remove it on occasion when I want the breeze (I just don't care for the fold down windshields and since it it easy to remove or replace a full screen I have kept it).
simicrintz is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2020, 03:23 PM   #42
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakDaddy View Post
I saw them all on Gold Carts modified Facebook awhile back. But, with all the
BS on Facebook with the election, I got completely off of Facebook. I got back on and I’m trying to retrace my steps to find those who posted videos that hit the high speeds so I can figure out if I missed something. I found one guy and sent him a message through Facebook but no response...he was hitting 35 easy with FLA.

Don’t get me wrong the acceleration is awesome but I’m very disappointed with the top speed. Now I got my wife busting my balls for spending the money and only getting 33mph 😂
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that even the low side of your range, 40-50, isn't probable, or maybe even possible in a Club Car with stock gears and a 1/2 windshield with top when using the Navitas and only 51V. I'm talking a "normal" cart (with top, at least partial windshield, all the seats in it etc...). And I mean actually hitting those speeds - not a blip in the GPS where "peak speed" is over stated - I mean steady state speed for at least 30 seconds or so where the number stays steady. Not downhill.

I'd say 40, and just barely 40, MIGHT be possible w/out a windshield, on an 87 degree day, using overinflated tires that have a crown in them, and then you probably still would need your fingers crossed. I'm sure I'll hear from all those that have done it, but that's my guess. I've seen 38 on mine on occasions, but in perfect conditions, and it doesn't stay on 38 for more than 5 seconds or so when I've seen it, so it's probably more like 37.5.

I'm assuming this based on current firmware for the controller, and w/out some engineering programming being changed (not avail. in the "Dealer" app) in order to hit that RPM with 51v.

I've tweaked all I knew how to tweak on mine, and while I love the setup, I realized that the only way to increase performance was to increase battery voltage.

After a long wait for it to be built and shipped from overseas, I finally removed my RoyPow 51v 105ah a few days ago and put in the new 72v 120ah battery. Though I've only been out in it a couple of times, the performance improvement is pretty massive - esp. in the acceleration and midrange acceleration in particular. Top speed is just over 45, but it was also pretty cold when I ran it. Not to get off track, but Navitas engineering stated that recent firmware actually had reduced power in some scenarios and mentioned a release slated for mid January should address this for some users. He indicated I should see increased top-end numbers, but it is irrelevant for my use - I'll limit it to ~40 in the software anyway.

I love the RoyPow 51v 105ah and never had a single issue, and will miss the extra storage under the seat (I still have a little with the new battery, but not much), but 72v is just night and day (actual pack voltage is around 80). The extra range and lower current draw are additional benefits over and above the performance improvements. RoyPow will have their own version of this as early as March or April supposedly, but I'd guess later.

My guess from early on was that the Navitas setup was a beast (I think the motor by itself is maybe 72 lbs? I put mine in by myself, from underneath, and it was a bear), but I felt like I wasn't able to access all the potential with 51v, even Lithium (but it was way better than FLA). My feeling is they had high DC voltage in mind for this setup to really shine.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #43
SakDaddy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that even the low side of your range, 40-50, isn't probable, or maybe even possible in a Club Car with stock gears and a 1/2 windshield with top when using the Navitas and only 51V. I'm talking a "normal" cart (with top, at least partial windshield, all the seats in it etc...). And I mean actually hitting those speeds - not a blip in the GPS where "peak speed" is over stated - I mean steady state speed for at least 30 seconds or so where the number stays steady. Not downhill.

I'd say 40, and just barely 40, MIGHT be possible w/out a windshield, on an 87 degree day, using overinflated tires that have a crown in them, and then you probably still would need your fingers crossed. I'm sure I'll hear from all those that have done it, but that's my guess. I've seen 38 on mine on occasions, but in perfect conditions, and it doesn't stay on 38 for more than 5 seconds or so when I've seen it, so it's probably more like 37.5.

I'm assuming this based on current firmware for the controller, and w/out some engineering programming being changed (not avail. in the "Dealer" app) in order to hit that RPM with 51v.

I've tweaked all I knew how to tweak on mine, and while I love the setup, I realized that the only way to increase performance was to increase battery voltage.

After a long wait for it to be built and shipped from overseas, I finally removed my RoyPow 51v 105ah a few days ago and put in the new 72v 120ah battery. Though I've only been out in it a couple of times, the performance improvement is pretty massive - esp. in the acceleration and midrange acceleration in particular. Top speed is just over 45, but it was also pretty cold when I ran it. Not to get off track, but Navitas engineering stated that recent firmware actually had reduced power in some scenarios and mentioned a release slated for mid January should address this for some users. He indicated I should see increased top-end numbers, but it is irrelevant for my use - I'll limit it to ~40 in the software anyway.

I love the RoyPow 51v 105ah and never had a single issue, and will miss the extra storage under the seat (I still have a little with the new battery, but not much), but 72v is just night and day (actual pack voltage is around 80). The extra range and lower current draw are additional benefits over and above the performance improvements. RoyPow will have their own version of this as early as March or April supposedly, but I'd guess later.

My guess from early on was that the Navitas setup was a beast (I think the motor by itself is maybe 72 lbs? I put mine in by myself, from underneath, and it was a bear), but I felt like I wasn't able to access all the potential with 51v, even Lithium (but it was way better than FLA). My feeling is they had high DC voltage in mind for this setup to really shine.
I’d say you are probably correct. All I’m probably going to get is 33mph unless I make some other changes that I have no idea how to do myself. Guess I will ha e to wait until my RoyPow dies and go with a 72v or whatever is the new thing at the time. Thanks for all the replies and help!! 👍🏼
SakDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 04:40 PM   #44
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
I’d say you are probably correct. All I’m probably going to get is 33mph unless I make some other changes that I have no idea how to do myself. Guess I will ha e to wait until my RoyPow dies and go with a 72v or whatever is the new thing at the time. Thanks for all the replies and help!! 👍🏼
I think there is a bit more speed there. Have you checked some of those things like solenoid etc..? All your wires tight? 2 gauge wires between battery and solenoid / controller? Brakes not dragging? All that stuff matters.
It's a nice setup. Good luck with it.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:12 PM   #45
SakDaddy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I think there is a bit more speed there. Have you checked some of those things like solenoid etc..? All your wires tight? 2 gauge wires between battery and solenoid / controller? Brakes not dragging? All that stuff matters.
It's a nice setup. Good luck with it.
I had a 400a solenoid and 2AWG wires installed with it. But all the other stuff...brakes dragging etc I have no idea and don’t know how to even check. I was told to check the “toe end” also. Don’t know what that is either but was told the front end should be toed out to about an 1/8”...anything more or less can cost 2-3mph.

I know the Max output is set to 200a in the settings...is that because that’s all the RoyPow can handle?
Old 12-19-2020, 10:12 PM   #46
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
I had a 400a solenoid and 2AWG wires installed with it. But all the other stuff...brakes dragging etc I have no idea and don’t know how to even check. I was told to check the “toe end” also. Don’t know what that is either but was told the front end should be toed out to about an 1/8”...anything more or less can cost 2-3mph.

I know the Max output is set to 200a in the settings...is that because that’s all the RoyPow can handle?
The 200a setting shouldn't have any effect on top speed, and in my experience very little if any on flat ground acceleration. You could set it higher - I've had mine at 300 and never had BMS trip for any reason but I don't think you need to. If you have hills you could run into trouble if the setting is too high (BMS will trip, but it will reset itself by you turning on the battery again).

There are others here that know more about front end alignment than I do, but I think you should have 1/8" of toe IN, not out, meaning the front wheels are ever so slightly pigeon toed, not splayed out - front tires are 1/8" closer together in the front than they are at the rear. You can find you tube videos on adjusting it - pretty straight forward. Unless it is off a good bit I don't think that should be it.

Sounds like your solenoid should be ok since it is new and sounds like a solid one that you have.

Brakes dragging just means that the rear wheels are actually having a small (or maybe not so small) braking force applied at all times, even if you don't have the brake pedal pushed down. If you jack up the rear end you can spin the wheels and see if the brake is grabbing when it shouldn't be. You can also look under the brake pedal (underneath the cart) and see the linkage - there should be a small amount of play in it, so that it isn't taught unless you are pushing on the brake pedal a bit. Take a look - you'll see how it works.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:48 PM   #47
SakDaddy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
The 200a setting shouldn't have any effect on top speed, and in my experience very little if any on flat ground acceleration. You could set it higher - I've had mine at 300 and never had BMS trip for any reason but I don't think you need to. If you have hills you could run into trouble if the setting is too high (BMS will trip, but it will reset itself by you turning on the battery again).

There are others here that know more about front end alignment than I do, but I think you should have 1/8" of toe IN, not out, meaning the front wheels are ever so slightly pigeon toed, not splayed out - front tires are 1/8" closer together in the front than they are at the rear. You can find you tube videos on adjusting it - pretty straight forward. Unless it is off a good bit I don't think that should be it.

Sounds like your solenoid should be ok since it is new and sounds like a solid one that you have.

Brakes dragging just means that the rear wheels are actually having a small (or maybe not so small) braking force applied at all times, even if you don't have the brake pedal pushed down. If you jack up the rear end you can spin the wheels and see if the brake is grabbing when it shouldn't be. You can also look under the brake pedal (underneath the cart) and see the linkage - there should be a small amount of play in it, so that it isn't taught unless you are pushing on the brake pedal a bit. Take a look - you'll see how it works.
Appreciate all the tips!! Thank you! 👍🏼
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car